Advantages of t-56 swap in 01 GT?

mike012v

Reaction score
Was thinking about doing a t-56 swap in my heads/cam 2v before i put everything back together. whats the advantages over the t-45? except for the extra gear of course. any input would be great!

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
One thing i notice with mine is the closer gear ratios thanks to the longer first gear. and they hold a good deal more power.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
other than the gear... I know they are definitely stronger than the 5 speeds we put in our cars... gonna keep an eye out for responses.. im curious myself

Nightmare

Reaction score
well, there is the obvious, the better fuel economy. Plus, by adding the extra gear, you can run a better rear end gear, like a 4.10 or a 4.56 and the car will still have the same highway manors as well as fuel economy as a 3.27 gear. They are also quite a bit stronger....

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You guys are all correct, but failed to leave the most benefitial t56 fact......ITS COOL!!!

1bad9d5

Reaction score
^^ lol yeaaa that is trueee

I heard t56s shift a lot smoother through each gear than other 1s... that any true??

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
I haven't noticed the t56 to be any smoother in the cobra. One thing worthy of note is it is slightly heavier but of course that should be expected with an extra gear and additional strength. Its been done a lot and for good reason its just up to you to weigh out whether the positives or negatives win.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
do u know how much more it roughly weighs? and what other negatives come with it besides being heavier??

I heard from 1 person that it shifts so smooth but he didn't drive a stang either... but good to know its not too noticeable

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I went from a T5 but the T56 is not only way larger physically it's i believe about 40 lbs heavier. It's also not uncommon for them to shift rather notchy especially with a short throw (can be remedied with the anti-venom mod) and also they are sometimes louder transmissions as well.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Damn... I was hoping it wouldn't be a loud tranny.... I hate that... sounds dumb but that could be a deal breaker for me if its louder... I made sure I everything i could think of to make my shifter and tranny now quiet as hell

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
do u know how much more it roughly weighs? and what other negatives come with it besides being heavier??

I heard from 1 person that it shifts so smooth but he didn't drive a stang either... but good to know its not too noticeable
The 3650 is 120 lbs dry, the t5 is roughly 95 and a t56 is 135. Like I said not much difference to really whine about but between added weight and cost its up to you to decide if it is worth the cool factor IMO.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
The 3650 is 120 lbs dry, the t5 is roughly 95 and a t56 is 135. Like I said not much difference to really whine about but between added weight and cost its up to you to decide if it is worth the cool factor IMO.

yea i think it has a lot more benefits to to worry about 40lbs... the price and what onyx said.. it being louder, may shy me away... know any other transmissions that can hold 450-500 to the wheels? now is a good time to start my research lol cause i know my t5 cant

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
yea i think it has a lot more benefits to to worry about 40lbs... the price and what onyx said.. it being louder, may shy me away... know any other transmissions that can hold 450-500 to the wheels? now is a good time to start my research lol cause i know my t5 cant
This is about a common a debate as Trick Flow vs AFR... many opinions, many facts and no real clear answer. I say this because there will always be outliers and factors that make arguments on both sides irrelevant. I had a factory 100k mile t5 and clutch trapping 125 mph... other people blow them with factory power. Its all a matter of how you drive regardless of trans and I suggest getting what you want based around assumed future power levels. When my t5 started whining from years of abuse I replaced it with a 3550 and never looked back. Regardless of ratings, I will say again, it is how you drive it....

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wish I could give you definitive input on my T56 loudness, I apparently installed it wrong so that could be why mine is making excessive noise. Obviously shifters and gaskets make a difference in how much noise you hear too. Pretty sure the T5 is around 80 lbs but regardless the weight difference is not a big issue, i had more trouble with the massive size of the T56.

One reason I went with the T56 is because I heard TKOs were loud and notchy, apparently some T56s can be too. But i'm hoping its because of my improper install that i'm getting the excessive noise and notchiness from.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
I wish I could give you definitive input on my T56 loudness, I apparently installed it wrong so that could be why mine is making excessive noise. Obviously shifters and gaskets make a difference in how much noise you hear too. Pretty sure the T5 is around 80 lbs but regardless the weight difference is not a big issue, i had more trouble with the massive size of the T56.

One reason I went with the T56 is because I heard TKOs were loud and notchy, apparently some T56s can be too. But i'm hoping its because of my improper install that i'm getting the excessive noise and notchiness from.
Ive driven several and it does have a lot to do with the gasket between the floorboard and shifter selection. Currently the one I use is a pro 5.0 and it got quite a bit notchier and louder. Factory it wasnt terrible, but yes it was definitively louder than the t5's I have owned and currently do own.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
This is about a common a debate as Trick Flow vs AFR... many opinions, many facts and no real clear answer. I say this because there will always be outliers and factors that make arguments on both sides irrelevant. I had a factory 100k mile t5 and clutch trapping 125 mph... other people blow them with factory power. Its all a matter of how you drive regardless of trans and I suggest getting what you want based around assumed future power levels. When my t5 started whining from years of abuse I replaced it with a 3550 and never looked back. Regardless of ratings, I will say again, it is how you drive it....

ok, that is definitely helpful... i mean i have the turbo in and the power already... upgraded my clutch before the turbo ever went in... i don't go to the track to to much but i think this year that is going to change now that i have what i have... and im probably gonna come out the hole anywhere from 3500-5k rpms... and with the linelock doing 3rd-4th gear burnouts before staging... tranny has 175k on it.. few times a year could it handle those kinda drops? and other thing is.. honestly since i have 3.73s.. i may either keep them or go to 3.27s.. but with that and my MGW short throw.. i probably would like to have a tranny that those can just switch over with as well ya know?

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
ok, that is definitely helpful... i mean i have the turbo in and the power already... upgraded my clutch before the turbo ever went in... i don't go to the track to to much but i think this year that is going to change now that i have what i have... and im probably gonna come out the hole anywhere from 3500-5k rpms... and with the linelock doing 3rd-4th gear burnouts before staging... tranny has 175k on it.. few times a year could it handle those kinda drops? and other thing is.. honestly since i have 3.73s.. i may either keep them or go to 3.27s.. but with that and my MGW short throw.. i probably would like to have a tranny that those can just switch over with as well ya know?
I dont know exactly how much power you are making, but you will certainly put any trans through the test with those conditions. I recommend a tko600 but thats just me.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I dont know exactly how much power you are making, but you will certainly put any trans through the test with those conditions. I recommend a tko600 but thats just me.

460... and would the shifter and gears all transfer over with a tko600?

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
460... and would the shifter and gears all transfer over with a tko600?
I apologize, I may have been to quickly to throw a recommendation out there. Budget, availability of car being down and power needs always play a factor as well. A tko600 will require a new clutch as it is a 26 spline input vs the factory 10 spline. It is very much a sturdy trans that is rated beyond your current power level. that said, a tremec 3550 would technically be enough to handle your power should you treat it right, but I tend to want to play it safe if I am spending the money on upgrading. As far as your rear gears that is completely up to you and another deal I would deal with outside of this thread and focus on trans first.

That said, is this your dd? What is your budget?

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I apologize, I may have been to quickly to throw a recommendation out there. Budget, availability of car being down and power needs always play a factor as well. A tko600 will require a new clutch as it is a 26 spline input vs the factory 10 spline. It is very much a sturdy trans that is rated beyond your current power level. that said, a tremec 3550 would technically be enough to handle your power should you treat it right, but I tend to want to play it safe if I am spending the money on upgrading. As far as your rear gears that is completely up to you and another deal I would deal with outside of this thread and focus on trans first.

That said, is this your dd? What is your budget?

yea I was kinda hoping to not have to change much... if that isn't realistic than ill just have to live with that and sell what I take off... technically it is my only car but I don't DD at all.. hasn't left the garage in 3 months lol.. I just use my moms car so more of a weekend warrior.. and right now im looking at ALL options... don't plan on making moves if any for a couple months.. got a million different things I want to do... budget I would say is under 5k? lol but just idk... not worried about that part just yet.. just want to know all options

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online