Advice on swapping cig lighter for flush mount USB charger

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'd hate to limit myself to whatever wattage I hardwire into a permanent USB port.
Permanent? It literally takes less than 10 seconds to pop off that shifter trim and unscrew the charger from the back.

lutter94

Reaction score
Permanent? It literally takes less than 10 seconds to pop off that shifter trim and unscrew the charger from the back.
I don't see the issue with the flush push in chargers.......why rewire it? I understand how simple the shifter trim pops off lol.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
It doesn't, read what I wrote. It connects to an aftermarket radio.
The first one I linked is for the shifter console.
Okay I got it but I have the original radio and sound system and would like to keep it that way. So it doesn't have a USB connection therefore I'll replace the lighter with one.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
I don't see the issue with the flush push in chargers.......why rewire it? I understand how simple the shifter trim pops off lol.
It's because I like the little flip lid cover over the cigarette lighter up by the shift console and I would like to keep it that way. The push in Chargers will stick out too much I won't be able to close the lid.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
Or is it possible that the cheap Amazon push in ones will push in far enough to close the little lid?
I looked into that but the depth of the cigarette lighter hole is only about 1.25 inches at the most and those cheap Amazon push in units are almost 2 inches long so then the little cover will not be able to close.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
You can find ones that have different input terminations. There's all kinds of options out there. They even have ones with capacitive soft touch power switches on their faces to enable the USB ports, backlit and everything. Fitting behind the shifter bezel cover might be a challenge though. I chose to leave that one as a traditional cig lighter port while the other cig lighter in the center console got the USB ports.
I could have done that but yesterday I cut out the ashtray and cigarette lighter from the console and installed a cup holder from model year a year or two newer.

OP
OP
Slice

Slice

Reaction score
This is the linked amazon charger above.....Phones evolve, and charge faster all the time, I'd hate to limit myself to whatever wattage I hardwire into a permanent USB port. This thing charges "Super Fast". lol

View attachment 24770

View attachment 24771
That looks good. Two questions... does the LED light stay on all the time or shut off when the car is parked? Also, it looks like the flip lid is gone. Was it just lost or broken or will it not close with that USB charger installed?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the light staying on will depend on if you have it wired to a constant or switched source. If you connect it to the wiring that the lighter is connected to it will stay on all the time.

lutter94

Reaction score
That looks good. Two questions... does the LED light stay on all the time or shut off when the car is parked? Also, it looks like the flip lid is gone. Was it just lost or broken or will it not close with that USB charger installed?

Yes the LED stays on, as its a constant hot circuit. My flip lid is broken. I wish it wasn't.....I have to assume it would close easily, it sticks out so minimally.....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you could just swap the power wires to the radios red/switched wire and it would cut power with the key.

b1pig

Reaction score
If you're worried about the face clearance, since you already have the trim out, removing the plug, closing the lid and then measuring from behind the cover would get you the actual amount of space you have under the cover. Small tape measure, or even better if you have a vernier caliper. Just make sure to take (or measure) the thickness of the mounting surface into account. :)

I still need to do the cupholder mod on mine. When I do, the port that's there will be moved either into the console or on the opposite side of the shifter. I haven't decided yet.

r1ch999999

Reaction score
Yes, I replaced mine with a dual USB.
I also replaced the one inside the center console with a dual USB. That one is wired directly to the 2 USB outputs on the radio I have.

Definitely lots on Amazon
There's one inside the center console? I guess I need to poke around this car a bit more. I've had it for almost a year but it spent the last 5 months under a cover.

r1ch999999

Reaction score
I put a small switch under the cover, I already had one and it fit right in. That switch wires to a dual USB charger that I also already had, but it was too big to fit in that spot, so for now it's just loose in the car. The switch is just big enough that closing the lid shuts it off, allowing me to not drain the battery if someone forgets to unplug something. I saw a dual USB setup on an AC Cobra, it was sort of clipped to the side of the center console. I was going to copy that as soon as I figured out where to get the clip.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If that car is 94-97 (I think) the center console charger/cig lighter is under the flip cover (ashtray). If 98 then the port is on the vertical surface right between the armrest lid and the fog light switch (if equipped) or the coin holder or the conv top switch. In other words, for 98, the port is on the driver side of the ghetto looking e-brake dust molding.

badass98svt

Reaction score
There's one inside the center console? I guess I need to poke around this car a bit more. I've had it for almost a year but it spent the last 5 months under a cover.

My 98 console had a 12v plug on the inside of the center console. After I put the 03 console in, I used a holesaw to make a hole in the same spot. It's very convenient, and you don't see the USB cables, like you do around the shifter

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I found this one on Amazon. Was a direct swap and has USB-C ports, as well as an on/off button. The flip cover is a little annoying, i may remove it. When it's on, it also displays battery voltage. Amazon has a ton to choose from.

IMG_4992.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online