New Edge 4.2 swap to...

NekRoass

Reaction score
Hi all. 2.5 years ago I bought my first car and my childhood dream - new edge mustang. Since I do not live in the States, for this reason it is quite difficult to find even a GT modification in our area (not to mention Mach1 and Cobra). But even so, I got a rather interesting car - this is a 4.2 stroker on forged pistons that was being prepared for twin turbo, compression ratio 9. I never had a chance to measure the power, but about 240 horsepower (I rode as fast as the LT1 Firebird 4th gen) But it remained atmospheric. Works great. Was on the machine. Rear axle 7.5. For all the time, on my own, in addition to maintenance (the car was built about 10 years ago), Made small external changes (found Saleen rims, Saleen front bumper, ember tail lights, lower springs (not installed now)), I also found and installed a TR3650 manual gearbox (lol, it is bolted with only three bolts to the engine, but it works great) and Cadillac ATS Brembo brakes. Now I'm also looking for options with a rear axle 8.8. I bought it from a lincoln town car cheaply for experiments, it looks similar, but you need to digest the shock absorber mounts. And of course I need to find LSD for that. And of course, like many boys, I dreamed of a top version (for me, this is the Cobra R 2000 which I first saw in NFS HP2). And now I'm slowly approaching the most (for me) difficult stage of construction - the engine. After reading enough forums - almost everywhere they write that it's easier to buy a V8 right away. But as I wrote before - in my area this is a very rare lot. Therefore, I began to build my dream myself. Actually a question and a request to you - help me decide what is best for me for a swap. Since I want to build a car on the engine of the same years as the car, we only have lincoln engines available (of course, there are also engines from Explorer, Econoline, F150, CrownVictoria), and of course 3.8 from the base mustangs. But no PI 4.6 2v from mustang and above (4.6 32v). But it seemed to me that I could try to build the right engine based on 4.6 32v from Aviator, or 5.4 32v from Navigator (I'm afraid 4.6 2v will just be weaker than my current 4.2). Would it be stupid to switch from V6 to V8 in my case. Or worth a try. Of course, if I don't find some parts in my country, I can order them, but it will cost good money (and of course, time). How hard is it to put a V8 in a V6 car and have it run like a regular car? Or spit on all this and finish twin turbo 4.2 (But then there will definitely not be that V8 sound that I dream of, even if I love the sound of my V6). I understand that I am far from the first and far from the last who wonders about the swap. And I am well aware that it will be very difficult to do this without a donor. But I really want to try

Please help with advice and reasoning. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
V8 over v6 every day for me
I would build what you truly want and finding parts cheap and in good condition if possible
I would look for a totaled car get everything possible harnesses computer anything that makes it run

OP
OP
NekRoass

NekRoass

Reaction score
V8 over v6 every day for me
I would build what you truly want and finding parts cheap and in good condition if possible
I would look for a totaled car get everything possible harnesses computer anything that makes it run
I would be very happy to find a broken GT, but unfortunately there is only V6 :( Periodically I look at Japanese auctions and a couple of times there were GTs, but also mostly V6s. There is one place where I can find almost everything, but there is no 4.6 engine from New Edge. That's why I'm interested in Lincoln engines - is it possible to plug them into a mustang with ECU wiring and everything? thanks for your reply

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 32v Lincoln engines are a good choice for swap. They are essentially the cobra engine minus the supercharger. . But the 4.2 which is a stroker 3.8 which could of been a truck engine originally. Can be good to 400 hp with the right parts. I'd look for a adapter plate to get that trans secured properly . As far as wiring. If you can get the engine with harness and ecu I think you'll be ahead of the game on a 32v Lincoln swap

OP
OP
NekRoass

NekRoass

Reaction score
The 32v Lincoln engines are a good choice for swap. They are essentially the cobra engine minus the supercharger. . But the 4.2 which is a stroker 3.8 which could of been a truck engine originally. Can be good to 400 hp with the right parts. I'd look for a adapter plate to get that trans secured properly . As far as wiring. If you can get the engine with harness and ecu I think you'll be ahead of the game on a 32v Lincoln swap
Of course, if we are talking about 400 horsepower, then I will have to somehow better fix the trans. But I still want a V8(Of course, I can still put 1-3UZ-FE, or even 2gz-gte / rb25, we have more of these engines than American ones, but I still want the mustang to remain a mustang, and not be a Toyota, Chevy or something else). Do I understand correctly that, in fact, it will be enough for me to have an engine (of course, attachments), a wiring harness from this engine and an ecu? I understand that I may be asking stupid questions, but in my area where American cars are rare - such swaps are very rare and I may not know all the nuances. If I need anything else and you know about it, please write. thanks for your reply)

Last edited:

Admiral_peck7

Reaction score
Of course, if we are talking about 400 horsepower, then I will have to somehow better fix the trans. But I still want a V8(Of course, I can still put 1-3UZ-FE, or even 2gz-gte / rb25, we have more of these engines than American ones, but I still want the mustang to remain a mustang, and not be a Toyota, Chevy or something else). Do I understand correctly that, in fact, it will be enough for me to have an engine (of course, attachments), a wiring harness from this engine and an ecu? I understand that I may be asking stupid questions, but in my area where American cars are rare - such swaps are very rare and I may not know all the nuances. If I need anything else and you know about it, please write. thanks for your reply)
likely your best bet for engine control would be getting the harness for a GT or cobra mustang. im in texas and i just pulled the stock engine harness from my 1996 GT in favor of a Holley terminator x system. if you'd like to dm me or email me at [email protected], I'd be willing to ship if you'll pay shipping. it is only missing alternator and starter connectors. You would need to update the alternator connector anyways and you'll have to run 4 post coils (happy to send a set) to use the harness. you will also have to acquire a 96-98 GT or cobra ECU, or use the megasquirt standalone plug and play for the relevant years.

if you pull the ECU and harness from your donor vehicle you will be doing much more wiring work to make things work, and if you're going to pick up a Lincoln engine, I recommend the aviator engines, better factory intake manifold and much easier fitment all around.

d.garza18

Reaction score
likely your best bet for engine control would be getting the harness for a GT or cobra mustang. im in texas and i just pulled the stock engine harness from my 1996 GT in favor of a Holley terminator x system. if you'd like to dm me or email me at [email protected], I'd be willing to ship if you'll pay shipping. it is only missing alternator and starter connectors. You would need to update the alternator connector anyways and you'll have to run 4 post coils (happy to send a set) to use the harness. you will also have to acquire a 96-98 GT or cobra ECU, or use the megasquirt standalone plug and play for the relevant years.

if you pull the ECU and harness from your donor vehicle you will be doing much more wiring work to make things work, and if you're going to pick up a Lincoln engine, I recommend the aviator engines, better factory intake manifold and much easier fitment all around.
Off topic. But how was it running the Holley on the 96?

badass98svt

Reaction score
The 32v Lincoln engines are a good choice for swap. They are essentially the cobra engine minus the supercharger.

The Lincoln 4Vs are a lot closer to the 96-98 Cobra than it is to an 03/04 Cobra.
The 03/04 came with c heads, cop, different timing cover etc etc

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
How was it installing it on the car. I thought they only made the Holley kit for 99-04 cars
You can make the Holley run any engine you want. It’s all in the wiring and tune setup. That same terminator will run any Ls, or my coyote, or a 2v. They aren’t plug and play to the car. The only real difference would be coil on plug anyway. All the sensors are the same from 96-04.

d.garza18

Reaction score
You can make the Holley run any engine you want. It’s all in the wiring and tune setup. That same terminator will run any Ls, or my coyote, or a 2v. They aren’t plug and play to the car. The only real difference would be coil on plug anyway. All the sensors are the same from 96-04.
Awesome! Good to know for future endeavors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online