Advice with this possible 331 build

from6to8

Reaction score
What's going on guys. Yes I might go ahead and build a 331 and the builder is going to get the parts himself vs getting a stroker kit. I am thinking about using my TF heads
Edel per rpm 2 intake
He will do a custom cam
I have 24lber's ( would I need to go up to 30's or....)
Have shorty headers and might just stick with those
Basani X pipe
2 chamber flowmasters
75 mm MAF
70 mm TB
255 lb hr feul pump

Thoughts on using my heads and intake vs say getting the AFR 165s for what I want to do with the car which is a non track car, just streetable. I'm convinced and after talking to him and reading up, the 165's will suffice for me and vs the 185's I would be happier with the 165's if not my heads. Now if it isn't night and day from my heads to the 165's, I would rather just save that money and use mine.

Any other tidbits of info let me know

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
What size wedgies do you have? On a side note, if your putting this into a stock block, save some money, and don't buy a forged rotating assembly.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Yes, if this is going to be an all motor build, with no power adders, I would say you don't need a forged rotating assembly. However, since you are clearly not satisfied with the stock displacement, it's probably only a matter of time before you will want more out of your new 331. So you may want forged pistons, at least, so you can add some spray later on.

If you don't ge a forged rotating assembly, put the money into some bigger heads. More head is a good thing. Or have your Trick Flow's ported. You will want more head (who doesn't) especially when adding displacement.

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
What size wedgies do you have? On a side note, if your putting this into a stock block, save some money, and don't buy a forged rotating assembly.

170 cc, 61 cc combustion chamber

elaborate for me on forged rotating assembly and what exactly does that mean if you can. I've heard of forged pistons but not exactly sure what they mean. I guess I can google :) but maybe you guys can explain it more clear

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
Yes, if this is going to be an all motor build, with no power adders, I would say you don't need a forged rotating assembly. However, since you are clearly not satisfied with the stock displacement, it's probably only a matter of time before you will want more out of your new 331. So you may want forged pistons, at least, so you can add some spray later on.

If you don't ge a forged rotating assembly, put the money into some bigger heads. More head is a good thing. Or have your Trick Flow's ported. You will want more head (who doesn't) especially when adding displacement.

the thing is, I fixed my broken spring on the no 2 cylinder (replaced all springs and that one slightly bent valve. Talking to a lot of guys and having some come look at my bottom end, the consensus was it would be best overall to redo the bottom end but then also from the test I did, it showed it was decent so I wasn't convinced that the ring seals were shot or whatever the term is for the seals not being 100 % up to par. I did all the work myself with the exception of the head work ofcourse. I wanted to see how it would do with just fixing the heads and putting back together. So not that I'm not satisfied with the stock displacement because I see how the car can run( thru another test done with the help of a guy who has been helping a lot, I see that I probably would be totally satisfied or more satisfied I must say had I did the bottom as well.

But see I am a person who is hard to decide what I want to do lol. On one hand I wanted to do it once and do it right but I wasnt totally decided on what I wanted to do as far as a 331 or what so putting it back together would buy me some time to gather my list and know exactly what I want to build next time. So here is where I am now with deciding what I totally want to do going forward and now long the car will be down, ect. Part of the thing is I'm going to let my buddy whom has helped me a lot over the past 6 mos, he will build the block and possibly install the heads and oil pan as well , providing I decide what I am going to do head wise and rather I want to use mine or get new ones or what. If I use mine I would have to shiip them to him and my car would be down longer. I wana drive it still and when get the engine from him, it would mean less down time. My car is a weekend driver anyway so not really a big deal too much. Just have to think about what I really want to do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online