Alright lets play a game...

GT3FC

Reaction score
So here's the deal, my 2002 GT has some comp tri-power xtreme cams(not sure which ones) in it. they seem like mild cams. (they were put in by the previous owner) I believe the car has the stock tune because the car stalls out sometimes randomly (not very often but it still happens, when it doesn't the car runs fine) so either the car has the stock tune or they did a crappy job tuning it.

here's the game part. I'm going to buy a bama tuner from American Muscle and I will attempt to run their mail order tune.

Who thinks the car will run?
who thinks the car will not run and I will have to load the current tune back on the computer?

Honestly there is no 100% way to know until I try it, I just thought I would try and have a little fun with it.

So what do y'all think?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I think the car with start and run. But there's a big difference between starting and running, and actually running good.

I would recommend not remote tuning. But since your setup seems fairly mild, do some research and see if anyone has had success (which is likely what you are trying to do now).

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure if the car is tuned with a crappy tune or has the stock tune on it. when I bought the car I was told it did not need a tune because it is a mild cam that is only there to add a little lobe to the exhast ( alot of money just for a sound if you ask me. If I'm gonna buy cams its gonna be for the power). But my thought is what kind of shop would install cams and not tune for it? I dont know, My thought process is the worst that will happen is Ill load a bama tune and it wont run or it will run like crap and Ill have to load the current tune. on the flip side the bama tune might help my engine run a little better as far as the bolt ons go.

Caboose302

Reaction score
From what I've heard a Bama tune will work well on a VERY mild build (exhaust, CAI, etc) not too sure about a cam swap though. I think it will run ok as long as they load the right tune for your parts when you order it.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Mail order tunes are as effective as roll racing, don't waste your money.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Well either way I need a handheld tuner so why not get the one that comes with free tunes an try it out?

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
From what I've heard a Bama tune will work well on a VERY mild build (exhaust, CAI, etc) not too sure about a cam swap though. I think it will run ok as long as they load the right tune for your parts when you order it.

I talked to the guys at Bama and they said as long as it idles with the stock tune I will be fine

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to the guys at Bama and they said as long as it idles with the stock tune I will be fine

Of course... they're trying to sell you a product/service.

I can't really say one way or the other since mine was dyno tuned and I have a handheld diablosport predator, but the general consensus is that mail order tunes are junk. I've read many stories (not just from here) about how the Bama tunes aren't worth it.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Of course... they're trying to sell you a product/service.

I can't really say one way or the other since mine was dyno tuned and I have a handheld diablosport predator, but the general consensus is that mail order tunes are junk. I've read many stories (not just from here) about how the Bama tunes aren't worth it.

either way I am going to need a hand held, so if one comes with free mail order tunes I'm going to try it out...eventually I will need to dyno tune That is for sure but I would like to be able to hold off on dyno tuning for a while...I only want to pay for dyno tuning once

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well free tunes are nice to try, but if you do need to dyno tune.... find a local dyno tuner and see what brand they support.
You won't be happy when you have to buy another handheld... it won't be worth the free tunes then.

My experience, my car was tuned N/A by a person that specialized in my setup. The remote tune worked N/A, but it wasnt a very complicated.
The same guy also specialized in my setup with the supercharger. The remote tune did NOT work. Some of the fault was on our side because we couldn't get our data calibrated properly. However we were suppose to get unlimited changes for 6 months, he was very slow and very poor communication. The tunes didnt make things better, they were just junky.

I believe dyno tunes are better, a good tuner can tell so much when they're right beside the car. You're also eventually going to want to put the car on the dyno anyways to get numbers.

Like I said before, you can try the remote tunes since they're free. But do some research and check out your local dyno tuners, you wont be happy if you have to buy another hand held...

nightfire

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on BAMA. There's a reason why they offer "free tunes for life".....because their tunes are horrible. I've probably had 8-9 tunes from them over the years (pre-blower days) and was never satisfied with any of them.

Get the programmer + 3 tunes from VMP. Justin wrote me a custom startup tune after I built the motor and added the blower. It was flawless. He even wrote me another tune for free after I went from 42lb injectors to 60lb'rs. He knows his shit. It would be a lot better if e knew the cam specs but Im sure he can write you a nice tune.

http://vmptuning.com/sct-tuning-devices/3000/

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
the reason you don't buy a handheld from Bama and have your tuner change the tuna there is because you want to support the local shop by the tuner from the local shop tonight the local shop in support the local shop they're the ones that will save you not some guy in mystery land three weeks later when your car breaks down in the middle of the night....I'll tell you this right now if someone buys a car somewhere else and bring the to my dealership I'm not going out of my way but if they bought it from me in a service with me I'll do everything I can

nightfire

Reaction score
I'll tell you this right now if someone buys a car somewhere else and bring the to my dealership I'm not going out of my way but if they bought it from me in a service with me I'll do everything I can

That's pretty messed up :deeplist:

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
its not you support the local guy you support the guy who supports the races in town you support the guy who supports the local track in to support the local business who may give you business or your family business

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty messed up :deeplist:
+1

Not giving a good service just because they didn't buy from you? They're still paying YOU for a service... I wouldn't support you either if you treat your customers like that.

But enough about that, just find a local tuner.

nightfire

Reaction score
its not you support the local guy you support the guy who supports the races in town you support the guy who supports the local track in to support the local business who may give you business or your family business

ENGLISH....DO YOU SPEAK IT?

and I guarantee you're the type of guy that would drive 40 miles out of the way to save $100 just to get a better deal on a car this is what I'm talking about

LOL who wouldn't drive a measly 40 miles to save money?

You're "logic" is severely ****ed up....as I'm sure you are as well.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
:deeplist:

I thought we were playing a game here... come on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.