Another Cobra brake upgrade thread

shovel

Reaction score
You might or might not find these interesting, first a photo of the same brakes in context on the car:
nJTRQ4f.jpg

Also here are the rear cobra brakes on my wife's car, I was just swapping out her winter tires yesterday and figured the photo could be useful.

PXL_20230212_225311368.jpg

joe65

Reaction score
just buy a stainless line set from mm

they offer both style banjos for this occasion
confirmed. i did that last year and they did have both fine thread and course thread banjos. Not the same but i did the cobra upgrade on my 00 new edge last summer. It was shit or miss on rock auto with getting the calipers with the cobra logo. I got one side fine but the other side i had to give up using Rock Auto on because they kept sending me the mach 1 version without the logo. anyways, I also make sure to buy the coated rotors. I despise the rotors rusting. Anyways, my profile pic shows the fronts with the upgrade.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
confirmed. i did that last year and they did have both fine thread and course thread banjos. Not the same but i did the cobra upgrade on my 00 new edge last summer. It was shit or miss on rock auto with getting the calipers with the cobra logo. I got one side fine but the other side i had to give up using Rock Auto on because they kept sending me the mach 1 version without the logo. anyways, I also make sure to buy the coated rotors. I despise the rotors rusting. Anyways, my profile pic shows the fronts with the upgrade.
Thanks for that. Rockauto has been out of one side that appears to have the logo (ACDelco), but even within the ACDelco it seems to be hit or miss. Where did you end up sourcing calipers with the logo?

joe65

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Rockauto has been out of one side that appears to have the logo (ACDelco), but even within the ACDelco it seems to be hit or miss. Where did you end up sourcing calipers with the logo?
I found the side i needed on Ebay. Just got lucky and found a new one that someone had sitting around and decided to sell. I painted mine red. The red one in the attached photo was the one from Rock Auto. You can tell it was reman. Not real smooth and perfect like the new one (dark grey) in the 2nd pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4344.JPG
    IMG_4344.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4232.JPG
    IMG_4232.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

shovel

Reaction score
What year Taurus fit to make the upgrade for the rear?

I don't know about any Tauruses, that's a rear axle from a 2003 Mach 1 which came with 3.55 gears and the vented (and slightly larger diameter) brakes.

weendoggy

Reaction score
What year Taurus fit to make the upgrade for the rear?
If you have Cobra brakes, the front Cobra piston is either 38mm or 40mm, depending on what you have, going bigger in the rear with the Taurus doesn't seem practicle. The rear caliper piston is 38mm on both GT and Cobra, with the difference being the rotor size and bracket needed to fit the Cobra's. The Taurus piston size is 43mm and is suppose to be a direct fit for either setup and you'd want a 93-97 model year caliper.

J_lope82

Reaction score
If you have Cobra brakes, the front Cobra piston is either 38mm or 40mm, depending on what you have, going bigger in the rear with the Taurus doesn't seem practicle. The rear caliper piston is 38mm on both GT and Cobra, with the difference being the rotor size and bracket needed to fit the Cobra's. The Taurus piston size is 43mm and is suppose to be a direct fit for either setup and you'd want a 93-97 model year caliper.
Thanks for the info. I wasn’t quite sure what the mod consisted of I just thought I had heard about a mod with brakes from a Taurus.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Re: the Taurus brakes - I believe you need to get a proportioning valve or whatever they're called to adjust the bias if you go with the rear Taurus setup.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I wasn’t quite sure what the mod consisted of I just thought I had heard about a mod with brakes from a Taurus.
From what I've read and considered is the Taurus rear brakes and putting the Cadillac ATS Brembo's on the front. That combo seems to even out the braking. No need for the Taurus with standard or Cobra fronts.

J_lope82

Reaction score
So the original GT caliper can go on cobra bracket and then you can fit a bigger rotor? Is that accurate?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: the Taurus brakes - I believe you need to get a proportioning valve or whatever they're called to adjust the bias if you go with the rear Taurus setup.
again this is something that I don't think I have seen anyone worry about when they change things around. The closest I think is the people that remove abs and put the block in there, but that isn't a valve either. For some reason with brakes people just slap what ever they can find/dig up and then put on and somehow it is always better and never mismatched or worse. All of this bugged me when I started to consider upgrading and why in the end I went with a complete baer set up from the MC to the prop valve to the brakes.

shovel

Reaction score
I didn't fool around with random parts. I put the Cobra calipers/rotors/master cylinder on my 94 GT with all the correct hoses and the adapter hardlines made specifically for that purpose.

On my wife's 02 V6 the rear end was an open differential which meant she was always peglegging any time she would go around a corner under throttle - I don't even mean performance driving I just mean turning right at a stop sign if there was a spot of gravel or fallen leaves or water in the gutter that inside tire would spin. So a Mach 1 axle gave her 3.55 gears (from 3.27), LSD, quad shocks, "Cobra" brakes, sway bar (V6 coupes didn't ship with one), and the vibration damper. The rear "cobra" brakes have the same hydraulic volume as GT/V6 so nothing else needed to change with respect to Pascal's law. The principal difference is a vented disc rather than solid and it's trivially larger in diameter. Since her car has ABS, the tone rings on the 03 axle are identical to the tone rings originally on her car so in the event the new brakes want to lock up that will quickly be identified by ABS and presumably it will do its job.

Last edited:

weendoggy

Reaction score
So the original GT caliper can go on cobra bracket and then you can fit a bigger rotor? Is that accurate?
I can't remember if the GT caliper is the same. Either way, you will need the mounting bracket and rotor for a Cobra to mount it. It's what I did when changing mine. You will also not be able to use your GT anti-moan brackets. So, you can find those on-line or leave them off. I believe the Cobra rear pad is a 627 and front is a 412. You will need to remove the axles to do the swap. May want to replace bearings/seal at that time.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Waiting on a code for Rockauto....

Just going to go with calipers, pads, rotors, and brackets from them (I think the calipers I've picked out have brackets included). I'll get the MC and lines from MM. I've decided not to worry with getting calipers with the Cobra lettering - it seems that MANY folks had issues getting them for both sides. Rockauto doesn't differentiate between Mach/Cobra, so it's a mixed bag. I'd like to have the Cobra lettering, but I don't want to fool around with getting the wrong shit multiple times unless someone has a good source for the Cobra-specific calipers.

shovel

Reaction score
:) people are usually too busy telling me they hate my wheels and paint to worry about whether the calipers have words on them

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
just get a decal to make it say what ever you want.
Yeah I'm just envisioning the conversations that will stem from "it's got Cobra brakes" and some half-wit commenting that the raised Cobra letters aren't there. I'll likely just stick with "upgraded brakes" when referencing them.

oilspill

Reaction score
Waiting on a code for Rockauto....

Just going to go with calipers, pads, rotors, and brackets from them (I think the calipers I've picked out have brackets included). I'll get the MC and lines from MM. I've decided not to worry with getting calipers with the Cobra lettering - it seems that MANY folks had issues getting them for both sides. Rockauto doesn't differentiate between Mach/Cobra, so it's a mixed bag. I'd like to have the Cobra lettering, but I don't want to fool around with getting the wrong shit multiple times unless someone has a good source for the Cobra-specific calipers.
not sure if it will help but I am planning the ATS swap in a few weeks, that will leave me with some cobra calipers that i will damn near give you so they don't take up space in my house. only have 180k miles on them so don't expect them to be great condition but are true ford parts with the lettering you are looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online