Another Cobra brake upgrade thread

weendoggy

Reaction score
not sure if it will help but I am planning the ATS swap in a few weeks, that will leave me with some cobra calipers that i will damn near give you so they don't take up space in my house. only have 180k miles on them so don't expect them to be great condition but are true ford parts with the lettering you are looking for.
I'll be curious on what wheel/tire combo you'll be using with that swap. I'm thinking about doing the same with 17" Bullitt and FR500 wheels. Some say they fit, some don't.

oilspill

Reaction score
I'll be curious on what wheel/tire combo you'll be using with that swap. I'm thinking about doing the same with 17" Bullitt and FR500 wheels. Some say they fit, some don't.
Don’t want to hijack the thread but will be 18 inch Saleen. I’ll do a post recapping

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I've heard the same on the ATS - some say they clear 17s and some say they don't. May depend on offset/backspacing.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
If you're going to buy Cobra calipers, as weendoggy mentioned, go ahead and get the 40mm piston ones. Ford started using these in 1999 (I believe).
FWIW, I have the original calipers from my '95 Cobra R available. These are the 38mm ones. I put 14" Alcon 4-piston front brakes on my R-model and PBR single piston 13" rears so I could keep my e-brake. This resulted in not quite enough rear brake, so I use more aggressive Hawk DTC pads in the rear now. I use Hawk blue in front. The balance seems perfect now and these brakes have performed incredibly on the track.
The '95 Cobra R got an oversized MC. I haven't measured it, but I was told by Ford that it's a 1" diameter. I was told that the stock '95 Cobra MC is 7/8". That's my recollection but I can't say for certain that this is correct (it has been over 20 years since I did this).

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I've been shopping '01 parts, which should be the bigger pistons. Good info!

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Honestly I've been shopping rockauto, I did find the ACDelco parts on Summit as well. Rockauto was hit-or-miss on the logo calipers, though.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Looking at new brake lines for this project - I see Powerstop makes a set that are about 1/2 the price of the MM kit (roughly $50 vs $100). Is there any benefit to the MM kit over the Powerstops? They're both braided SS with a sleeve over the lines.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Those look like a solid option, and made in USA.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I used StopTech, but I see they're about $9 more than when I purchased mine. Still, another option. Part #950.61001

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
About how much fluid will I need to flush and fill while installing the new calipers? Ideally, I'd like to replace it all as I'm sure it's never been done.

oilspill

Reaction score
About how much fluid will I need to flush and fill while installing the new calipers? Ideally, I'd like to replace it all as I'm sure it's never been done.
dont do what i did! I ran 6 quarts through it! I think 2 would have been plenty but i couldnt get a good pedal so just kept on going!

weendoggy

Reaction score
2qts is more than enough with plenty to spare, maybe even a pint.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
What say you SN95 community? Are these caliper pistons still OK to use? While attempting the repairs (new boots, seals, etc.) I marred up the pistons slightly in a couple of places. I sanded them smooth as best I could, finishing with 500 grit. Think these are still OK to use? The ones I'm showing are the two worst offenders.

MiYIB2Q.jpg
UyrYKk0.jpg

I can source new pistons if y'all think I need them, but I'd rather not if these are usable. Keep in mind this is supposed to be a "budget" build.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
If anything, this car has taught me to not try and save a few bucks here and there. Buy once, cry once. Every time I try to do something "budget", I end up spending twice as much, and doing it over.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
If anything, this car has taught me to not try and save a few bucks here and there. Buy once, cry once. Every time I try to do something "budget", I end up spending twice as much, and doing it over.
Agree 99% of the time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online