any help will be greatly appreciated.

seth4.6

Reaction score
hello, I've been on the forums awhile now this is actually my first time having to post im usally able to figure out my problems without needing to Post, so anyway​ I have a 1998 mustang gt automatic. yesterday it started making a noise ive never heard before, ive been by a few shops and they have no idea what it is, I'm kinda to poor right now to leave my car at a shop till the problem is found so here i am. I've been driving my car for about 5months its never made this noise till a day ago, everything works and the car still drives without any issues its just the sound thats got me worried. i made a video if anyone has a ever been through this before or just has an idea to what it could be id really really appreciate​ it. the link below is the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0v_lNkMhM

07GtS197

Reaction score
It sounds like something is rubbing on something else. Maybe the starter is stuck engaged? I dont know what that would sound like but its somewhat common on fox bodies so you never know. Is it louder around the back of the motor or accessory drive? It could also be a worn bearing in a pully.

By the way that hole in the bellhousing isnt supposed to be there, it could be your problem if something got in there and is hitting the torque converter or flexplate.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
could be part of that broken bellhousing is stuck inside and rubbing. I could imagine it might get worse from time/time.

OP
OP
S

seth4.6

Reaction score
its loudest at the back of the engine im honestly having a hard time pin pointing it but i really think its coming from right in front of the bell housing but it also sounds like its near the started i only hear it between 2000 maybe 3000 rpms my gauge doesn't work but I think its around there but thank you, I've been told about that hole before, i bought the car like that. this problem literally came outta no where i parked the car over night and the next day it started but something may of gotten up in there idk this just sucks car runs great but sounds like shit

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I agree with the above, part of the bellhousing in there hitting, something got in the opening of the bellhousing or whenever it broke, did something to the flex plate or the converter.

get a mechanics stethoscope ( or a long handle screwdriver) and listed around under there until you can pinpoint more exactly where it is the loudest which will tell you where it is. I assume, since you got under the car, it is louder down low, rather than up higher under the hood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online