Any info on the '15 independent rear susp.?

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I read about the car in the new fast fords magazine and had no idea that the stang is finally getting an independent rear suspension!!!! I wonder if top gear will have trash to talk about this one....

Anyway. I kinda want to see pictures of this setup. I'm a welder and fabricator and if any mounting points on the '15s chassis is at all similar to the SN platform I'd need to make it work. I love straight line racing as much as the next guy but nothing compares to carving corners in a mustang gt. And I can still be competitive in my NPI car. Lol.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
2015-Mustang-Undercarriage-2-785x510.jpg

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Doesn't seem impossible. Lots of fab work but do-able. Coil overs would save on room. I'll wait for a wrecked one to come into the body shop for a close up.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Doesn't seem impossible. Lots of fab work but do-able. Coil overs would save on room. I'll wait for a wrecked one to come into the body shop for a close up.

If you want IRS in a SN95 chassis why don't you just get a 99-04 Cobra IRS? Bolts right in and the 03-04 ones are pretty strong from the factory. 31 spline axle/diff and 3.55 gears

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
If you want IRS in a SN95 chassis why don't you just get a 99-04 Cobra IRS? Bolts right in and the 03-04 ones are pretty strong from the factory. 31 spline axle/diff and 3.55 gears

Had no idea they had IRS. Is it true independent? I'm not very knowledgeable about cobra specifics. That sounds like something that could be done on my daily/weekend cone dodger. I'm going to look into that seriously.

This thread is just based on a weird idea.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
there's been about 6 or so members that have done the swap and polished the exhaust too.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Front frame SFC'S? What are those? Don't you use full length subframe connectors? Or add the side brace triangulated stiffeners to those? Just curious, you lost me...

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
the IRS in the 03/04 Cobras was never a good example of IRS, it actually wasn't very strong because of wheel hop in stock form. it's also not exactly bolt in.

the new IRS should be worlds better, the rumor is the new GT will be faster around a track than the old Boss. It should be a pretty sick suspension.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Front frame SFC'S? What are those? Don't you use full length subframe connectors? Or add the side brace triangulated stiffeners to those? Just curious, you lost me...

Lost by lack of comma. My bad Ha. >>>Front suspension, SFCs, and aluminum diet.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
the IRS in the 03/04 Cobras was never a good example of IRS, it actually wasn't very strong because of wheel hop in stock form. it's also not exactly bolt in.

the new IRS should be worlds better, the rumor is the new GT will be faster around a track than the old Boss. It should be a pretty sick suspension.

Now it's still a hell of a step up from a solid axle, but I knew it'd be a much bigger deal if it were a true IRS. Its our American version of RWD IRS I guess that's how you could compare it. It's how I see it at least. Make sense? IDK either.

On to the '15, from what I can gather this sucker is gonna be nasty on the road course. I want to buy one, then run laps at summit point until I break it, then push it out on the street... And have NO CLUE why the brakes are melted, all 4 tires are bald, and it won't start when I call AAA.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score

The 03-04 IRS was the strongest one made, the weakest was the '99. And as far as the 03-04 IRS not being strong I beg to differ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ9LkCyVU20

Skip to 1:35 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRXU8rUPVeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qMoFSLgGw

All cobras running 9's with the factory IRS, modded of course with new stiffer bushings. There are many more running 10's also.

All that is needed for the 03-04 IRS is to replace the stock factory rubber bushings with Full Tilt Boogie Racing's kit. I have installed this kit on two 03-04 cobras and the difference was night and day. What breaks halfshafts/diffs is wheelhop but thats with any IRS, look at the CTSV, GTO, Camaro.

As far as it not being "exactly a bolt in", well that's nothing a weekend can't take care of. All that is needed is to make new rear brake lines, drill a few holes, swap a u-joint. A lot better than trying to make an IRS designed for a car designed on a new platform for 2015 unlike the Cobra IRS which was designed to bolt into a frame design that came out in the late 70's. Plus, the new 2015 car has a MUCH wider track than the 99-04 cars which already had a wider track than 94-98 cars.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah you took that too much to heart, I should have rephrased my statement. In stock form with wheel hop it'll snap a half shaft (which is what i mentioned specifically), that's obviously the first thing to remedy. Besides that being 31 spline it should be quite strong.

Yes it will install somewhat easily but it's not bolt in. technically you may need a shorter driveshaft for the IRS swap as well. Did you have to drop the gas tank to drill any of the mounting holes?

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Didn't take it too much to heart, just wanted to clear up that the 03-04 IRS is not weak, just has very soft bushings from the factory which cause wheelhop which like you said...breaks parts.

Dropped gas tank, used alum driveshaft made for SRA (fits snuggly), made new rear brake lines which was very easy, and also took out all the slack from my emergency cables where they run thru the floor/subframe so they would fit onto the hub assembly/calipers correctly. IRS cobra used a slightly longer emergency brake cable but mine work just fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online