Anybody got any AC experience?

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
When I bought the car, the ac blew cold but the compressor would flick on and off while blowing. Looked it up, said its probably low, and filled it a bit but after 20 seconds of filling or so it just shut off completely. Let some back out and it started flicking on and off again. Suggestions on the problem would be cool but I'm mostly asking if it's okay to run the heat in the winter with this problem?

lutter94

Reaction score
Did you buy a can with a gauge on top? I'd say buy a set of gauges from the harbor and see whats really going on. There are charts but I believe 2x outside temp is roughly the expected pressure with the clutch on.

edit, here's the chart.

SBEAL.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When I bought the car, the ac blew cold but the compressor would flick on and off while blowing. Looked it up, said its probably low, and filled it a bit but after 20 seconds of filling or so it just shut off completely. Let some back out and it started flicking on and off again. Suggestions on the problem would be cool but I'm mostly asking if it's okay to run the heat in the winter with this problem?
You should be ok to run the defroster in the winter
Still get the A/C gauges put on it like Lutter 94 suggested to be on the safe side
You may have overfilled it or its overfill

07GtS197

Reaction score
I agree it sounds like its overfilled. You can run the defroster but it might not dehumidify the air very well with the compressor short cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Yeah I thought it was overfilled as well but after letting some pressure out, the compressor turns off completely.

I did get a set of gauges, and it would constantly fluctuate as the compressor turned on. When it flicked on, it would slowly build pressure until it flicked off and then all pressure was lost, then it just repeats every couple seconds. This was only on the passenger side though, I havent gotten a complete set of gauges yet.

lutter94

Reaction score
Passenger is the low pressure side correct? Post some pics, easy with tapatalk. You mention a set of gauges but are only using 1? you only need 2 gauges.

If it's the low pressure side, it might be going to zero when it's kicking in and undercharged.

Take pics, test with a full set of gauges, and report back. We can't help till we have more info.

Fast Lane

Reaction score
Mine cycled on and off at idle quiet a bit. I took it to a local garage who has a great AC machine. It was low. they leak checked it and it was good. They topped it off and it works great. If you over charge it you can cause damage. This is why I paid to have a proper machine top it off.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Mine cycled on and off at idle quiet a bit. I took it to a local garage who has a great AC machine. It was low. they leak checked it and it was good. They topped it off and it works great. If you over charge it you can cause damage. This is why I paid to have a proper machine top it off.
If you do it yourself just find out how much goes in the system and monitor your gauges
You should ok
It gets expensive when a shop dose it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online