Anybody have experience with MM RUCA tool?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to replace the rear upper control arm bushings on my ‘95 Cobra. Are there any nuancesI should know about to accomplish this?

Any/all feedback to help is appreciated!

Wmac

Reaction score
As per the instructions, lots of lube (anti seize) on the bolt threads. Maybe a squirt or 2 of WD40 on the old sleeves during removal and clean any residue from inside the axle housing ears. Lube the new sleeves.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, that’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. “Follow the directions and should work as advertised “! I watched the video and I sense that dousing them with WD-40 or any good penetrating oil (overnight then again couple hours before gettin after it) should make the whole thing go more easily.

Now I’ll have to decide if I want to wait for the MM order to be filled (no ETA) or cancel that part of the order and get rubber ones from NAPA which are readily available. I can be a bit impatient. Dilemma is: I want to get this all done before the engine gets rebuilt (also no ETA!) so I don’t want to procrastinate.

Last edited:

Wmac

Reaction score
Yup, lots of penetrating oil now will only help. Bushing shell will be corroded to the axle housing mounts.

MM recommends rubber bushings only. I bought the motorsports kit and a pair from a supplier just to have an extra set. They turned out to be identical. Go figure. One set FRPP, one set AC Delco.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Buy the tool! It's worth every cent! Also, buy the NAPA rubber bushings. (They're the same as OEM.) That's one place you don't want poly.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FA50F442-39CF-49C2-AAEF-4F524D94C07E.jpeg430BFE4E-687A-474C-8164-3C81050707D8.jpeg
Today’s a good day!
I finally had 1/2 a day to dedicate to gettin under the car and tackling the darn RUCA bushings. And man, what a battle it turned out to be! I’m happy to say... I won! I got the passenger side done in only 4 hours!!! I’m thinking the driver side shouldn’t take as long now that I’ve figured out a couple of nuances about lining up the rear portion of the bracket that attaches to the melon.

Wmac

Reaction score
All in a days work Daryl. Its just part of the hobby/addiction. Have a couple beers and tackle the other side tomorrow.

Haven't seen any updates on the 347 thread lately.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
04A6520A-80F2-4770-8466-BBC5E4AF0EB6.jpeg White95,
Yeah, it was a sum-bitch but it needed doing. In the long run, I’m glad I’m doing it.F038FD97-9A9F-4015-9BD5-112D7347D66E.jpeg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wmac,
Nothing yet. I told myself I wouldn’t be “that guy” who called and bugged them weekly, and I haven’t. But I did call them back once a few weeks ago to confirm they will save and return all the stuff they are replacing. They are.
Based on the ballpark estimation of turn around time when I dropped it off, it “should be” end of this month to first week of February. Trust me, no one more anxious than me!

Wmac

Reaction score
Daryl: I thought that control arm looked new, but your car is so clean underneath, so did not ask. Are you replacing both upper arms? Are they M/M?
What about the lowers?

Its money well spent. You will not regret this.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daryl: I thought that control arm looked new, but your car is so clean underneath, so did not ask. Are you replacing both upper arms? Are they M/M?
What about the lowers?

Its money well spent. You will not regret this.
Yes, replacing both upper control arms and they are from MM. I ordered the replacements because they came with the forward bushings pre-installed! I took the easier way out! Rubber bushings, not urethane, btw.

The adjustable lowers are on order from MM, but super delayed by COVID crap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online