anyone ever shaved their fuel door?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was finally feeling well enough after my last hospital stay to take a look at this project again. I had decided that I would just cut the filler neck, insert a piece of PVC maybe with some silicone inside the hose and two hose clamps top and bottom. Doing this would allow me to rotate the neck back away from the fender and I am fairly certain as long as the clamps are tight it should not be an issue...

Today I opened the trunk to take another look and figure out where I would cut it when I finally put my hands on the hose for the first time I guess. I never realized it has a metal pipe around it to protect it. its funny I have spent some time looking at it and planning it but I guess never touched it as I felt pretty silly all of a sudden. Anyone know if that pipe/protection can come off?

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
*** side note. I do have to add that someone just sat down at my computer and saw a tab above that said : "anyone ever shaved their" ... and said " I'm not EVEN going to click on that"

LoL.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
see if HE ever tries to see whats on your screen again... Just tell him you were doing a search and then just stop talking too see what face he makes as his mind starts to consider it...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok so question - can the filler neck be separated from the protective pipe? - still stands and in addition to that does anyone know if our tanks are sealed or vented?

95opal

Reaction score

Really ... not good info.

Scott the tank is vented .. from tank to charcoal canister and from the canister back to lower intake. I have no idea what Adder is talking about it being sealed.

95opal

Reaction score
I can see it both ways depends on how you look at it..

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

For clarification...Vented to atmosphere no.... but still vented regardless.
Off the canister and purge and your now vented to atmosphere. Still different from being sealed.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
For clarification...Vented to atmosphere no.... but still vented regardless.
Off the canister and purge and your now vented to atmosphere. Still different from being sealed.

Exactly. :)
Some people remove the evap and cap it. Becomes sealed and over pressured..

95opal

Reaction score
Exactly. :)
Some people remove the evap and cap it. Becomes sealed and over pressured..

Yes bad move you definitely don't want to cap it. I usually pull the canister and crap then cut the line towards the rear of the car and put it up out of the way.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Really ... not good info.

Scott the tank is vented .. from tank to charcoal canister and from the canister back to lower intake. I have no idea what Adder is talking about it being sealed.

A vented tank has no evap system. They vent to atmosphere. Like having a vented cap.

The fact that our cars have a purge valve, and a charcoal canister should clue you in on it being a sealed system.

The only reason we can get away with removing the EVAP parts on our cars is because they are not monitored like the OBD2 vehicles. It is however still classified as a sealed system.

Addermk2

Reaction score
The fuel we put in our cars contains more than 150 chemicals, including benzene, toluene and sometimes even lead. These ingredients can cause dizziness, breathing problems and headaches when they're inhaled. Inhaling large amounts of gasoline fumes can even cause death. On top of all that, evaporated gasoline is one of the leading causes of smog and air pollution.
For these reasons, carmakers are required to install systems on their vehicles that help mitigate gasoline evaporations. Environmental regulation in the United States began in earnest in the early 1970s, and as a result, cars have had evaporative emission control (EVAP) systems ever since. These systems are designed to store and dispose of fuel vapors before they can escape into the atmosphere.

Source: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/evaporative-emission-control-system1.htm

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was asking because I found an alternative to shaving it completely by putting one of those smaller flush/pop-up gas caps that they put on motorcycles. The cap comes with the option of sealed/vented but the way it would be mounted on the fender I would not be able to use the gas cap to seal it under the smaller cap I would weld in place.

Dropped the tank and took at look at the filler neck today too try and figure out what do do with it. By chance does anyone know of a filler neck that would fit the tank, but rather then coming up through the trunk and turning to the fender, would turn towards the trunk opening? Prior to discovering the metal pipe covering the rubber I was just going to cut it and put a piece of pvc inside with a couple of hose clamps to allow me to rotate it where I want it. With the metal shroud around the rubber hose I am not sure now.....

Addermk2

Reaction score
Get a billet fuel door and call it a day.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

95opal

Reaction score
A vented tank has no evap system. They vent to atmosphere. Like having a vented cap.

The fact that our cars have a purge valve, and a charcoal canister should clue you in on it being a sealed system.

The only reason we can get away with removing the EVAP parts on our cars is because they are not monitored like the OBD2 vehicles. It is however still classified as a sealed system.

Already covered that thanks

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok so after much thought this is what I came up with. Tell me if you think its a bad idea at any point and may fail not if you just think its stupid to move the location = I care to make sure its a safe modification I don't care if you don't get the form over function idea.

Fist I took my hack saw and cut a nice straight cut in the straight section that goes through the floor. I then got a piece of pvc that was nice and tight inside of the hose and even chamfered one side so it can hopefully flow a little better. While I slid it on used a light layer of RTV gasket maker on the pvc and left a 1/16" channel between the hoses that I filled with Rtv. After that I put a couple of layers of aluminum tape around the hole connection area just to try and keep any welding heat from burning the hose. After that a couple of hose clamps put on as tight as I could including a small amount of locktight to ensure they stay tight. I had to cut an extra inch of pipe off of the side that had the top of the filler neck because the rubber and metal are crimped/connected. This w ay I can tighten up the upper hose clamp. After that I carefully welded the pipe and then ground down the weld followed by some rustoleum paint. Anyone see something that could fail? I am slightly concearned about fumes so I am going to make a cover that will go over the plastic filler cut that use to be in the opening in the fender/door. Any fumes left then would be evacuated via the original drain/vent hose that goes down through the floor. Sound good? I mean at this point I could still take the neck out of the parts car and put it back to stock but unless someone has a good reason why this will not work, the patch panel welding starts tomorrow....
1493217_614252088656275_1107528065_n.jpg

10155424_614252155322935_1087582396_n.jpg

1743680_614252288656255_267423122_n.jpg

1939890_614252935322857_1943231617_n.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
seen it one time on an SN95. hid it behind a tail light. cant find pictures on the internet.

:(

so, whats the hose clamps fo'?