approx price of built 331?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How much would a nicely done strong 331 cost, built to handle boost (turbo) prob like 12lbs-14lbs?  Approx price, just curious.  How much 2nd hand (one one that someone is selling after building and changed plans) or how much to build my own after machining etc and everything.  JUST APPROX price. ???

bkstang95

Reaction score
That is one of the main parts of a successful turbo build. You dont want to cut corners on that or it will end up costing you much more in the long run. But to answer your question you can get a pre assembled dart block 331 bottom end built to handle any amount of boost for around 4k. And from there you can chose to top it off with whatever your budget allows.

95whitevenom

Reaction score
prolly a lil closer to 6K to 7K unless your just talking short block but in the case of which your speaking. It matters what turbo you plaing on running that is fairly high boost for a V-8.
Right now we are seeing 360 on my friend integra at a low low 5lbs of boost mainly being careful when breaking in the new clutch. A smaller turbo would only yeild him 250 at that low of boost.
So in the case of which your talking the turbo size will make a huge difference. I'd say just get an R block or a DART block and never have to worry about if your pushing your block to the limit.

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think ill turbo my current setup first, run low boost like 9psi then when it packs it in time for some fun. Since I dont have lots of funds and there is still PLENTY of life left in my motor...

ryclef331

Reaction score
I can only wish now that I had bought a pre built short block. I bought my stroker kit (crank, rods, pistons, and all bearings) with a 4340 forged eagle crank for $1480. I then spent another 1470 to have the stock block machined, cam indexed, rotating assembly balanced (most exspensive part) and the whole shortblock assembled. I now have a motor that has the potential to make some SERIOUS power but...I'm at the limits of my stock block...and that SUCKS. If you're looking to stay around or under 500rwhp, use your stock block but if you want more one day...build the HELL outta the bottom end with a good block (Dart, R302, or Man o War/worlds). Mexican and Sportsman blocks are sort of a gamble. Some are successful and some are. Main girdles only hold your broken crap in a nice neat pile rather than all over the track. SO...if you walk in to a machine shop with EVERYTHING (like I did) then you're look at around 1300-1400 bucks. Hope that helps.

bkstang95

Reaction score
95whitevenom said:
prolly a lil closer to 6K to 7K unless your just talking short block but in the case of which your speaking. It matters what turbo you plaing on running that is fairly high boost for a V-8.
Right now we are seeing 360 on my friend integra at a low low 5lbs of boost mainly being careful when breaking in the new clutch. A smaller turbo would only yeild him 250 at that low of boost.
So in the case of which your talking the turbo size will make a huge difference. I'd say just get an R block or a DART block and never have to worry about if your pushing your block to the limit.

Yes, i was talking for just the short block.

If you think you can keep the boost down, you can run a rebuilt stock bottom end motor for a while. I ran mine for a year at about 560hp. It never broke, but i felt it was time to turn up the boost, and if i did so with that block, it would have been long gone.

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said ill just add my turbo probaly then see how I like it, I will probaly end up getting a nice block, might as well right because im sure ill allways want more power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online