Are my cam journals usable??

Black 96

Reaction score
I'm doing a PI Swap in my 1996 GT and I bought some used heads from ebay off of an 02 GT with approx 70,XXX miles on them. The previous owner said there were no problems with them he was only putting some performance heads on and had no use for these. I removed the cams for some inspection once i received them and saw some scratching in the journals, particularly in the one in the picture. (the one in the picture is the worst). I know it's not good but will they be okay??? I don't plan on running much more than 300hp with this motor but I'm still worried. I've read that these cant be fixed because they're built into the head so the heads are trash. :/

IMG_20140113_215556_931_zpsduz1rdza.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20140113_215547_704_zpsxy1l5lw2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SVTstang96

Reaction score
As long as you can polish the journal and the cam with some emry cloth and clean it up that shouldnt be a problem. You just have to make sure you remove any sharp edges/material which caused the damage in the first place

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
Thanks. Would you know what grit to use? Or if there is a specific way to do it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Uhm...there is no damage. That scar is typical. Ive seen much much worse from high mileage awesome running engines. Besides, its the cap that sustaines all the pressure from the springs and if the lower looks that way im sure the cap is worse.

You should see cam caps when ran with high rate valvesprings.....nasty!

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Thanks. Would you know what grit to use? Or if there is a specific way to do it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Just use a light abrasive like 800 or something to polish it, you dont want to sand it, you just kinda want to clean up any rough edges which may continue to cause damage

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
Just use a light abrasive like 800 or something to polish it, you dont want to sand it, you just kinda want to clean up any rough edges which may continue to cause damage
Thanks guys, I was convinced I was screwed. This is a huge relief!!!

OP
OP
Black 96

Black 96

Reaction score
Uhm...there is no damage. That scar is typical. Ive seen much much worse from high mileage awesome running engines. Besides, its the cap that sustaines all the pressure from the springs and if the lower looks that way im sure the cap is worse.

You should see cam caps when ran with high rate valvesprings.....nasty!

Thanks guys, I was convinced I was screwed. This is a huge relief!!!