Are the OTC cam tools required for chain replacement?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
If you pull the followers first the cams only move if you want them to. Yes, pulling 32 followers can be a pain, but I got the technique down pretty quick. After the cams were timed I put the followers back in.

As for the valves smacking the pistons on start up, turn the engine over by hand a few times. If theres an issue it'll pop up. My buddy didn't time the cams right in his 99 Cobra and after about half a turn the engine was stuck. We retimed the cams all was good. He was pretty thankful I mentioned turning by hand first.

Sorry, but there is no way I'd use a pair of vice grips on my cams.

tbird462002

Reaction score
Pulling all the followers is way too much work for no reason.

Putting vise grips on the cams will hurt nothing it's essentially what the Ford tool does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I guess we'll agree to disagree. Not fighting 32 valve springs while getting the cams set is worth the 10 minutes it takes to pull them.

I would imagine the Ford tools don't put teeth marks in the cams. But if it worked for you then cool.

cobraracer46

Reaction score
A lot of bad advice in this thread.

I follow the Ford procedure for replacing the timing chains and I use the OTC special tool kit.

Use the tools to get all of the timing marks lined up before you start pulling off parts. Furthermore, Ford specifically states not to spin the motor when the chains are off.

Pulling off rocker followers is foolish and a waste of time.

While you are replacing the chains, guides and tensioners, might as well upgrade the oil pump to 2013 GT500 piece that puts out more pressure. Put in billit oil pump gears too.

Finally, upgrade the timing guide pivot pins too.

Ford procedure that backs up what I say
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6004-A464.PDF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online