Attachment of dome light to headliner?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Bought my car with only half the interior. I had to order a ABS headliner from LateModelResto aswell as the plastic cover for the dome light, as I had the dome light but that was missing for some reason...

Anyways the headliner went up great, I have a pole holding up the front passenger side because I still need to locate a passenger side A-pillar cover. I tried attaching the dome light, and the ABS headliner has a hole cut out in the plastic part of it for the dome light, but not the cloth. So I went ahead and made a slit for the tab on the dome light to go through and I tried securing it with the screws in the dome light... But it just sagged there (being that the only thing holding it as the cloth on the headliner...), and after about a month it ended up falling off, and keep in mind I'm almost never in my interior, car hasn't moved since installing the headliner, and it hasn't even left my property in 2 years. So nothing hit it, there was no vibration or anything to cause it to fall, just lost grip on the cloth over time.

So my question is what is the proper way to attach the dome light to the headliner? I had no headliner before so I have nothing to go off of.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
there's a little plastic piece that slips up into the hole in the headliner and kinda hooks in, like you twist it and the tabs lock into place sorta thing. then the dome light screws into that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your interior is tan I am parting out a tan interior 95 gt. Pm me if you want that a-pillar or need any other parts.

abs headliner? Can you get a pic of where you are at? I am confused myself.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
It's just an aftermarket headliner. More durable than the cardboard backed oem ones. Anyone have a picture of these hooks? I have a bin of misc parts that I was given with the car... Maybe I have it laying around and don't realize it.
ill PM you now... My interior is all black but I have no problem painting the pillar. I'm buying a driver side airbag that's a different shade black than mine so I have to paint that too.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well the stock headliner is glued, no its actually closer to welded to be honest. I was amazed at how hard I had to work to get it unstuck from the roof. I am fairly certain ford has reverse engineered some kind of alien technology that allows them too weld cardboard too steel. When I recovered mine I think I put a couple dabs of silicon on the panel prior to finally putting it into place.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I went too pull mine out, after struggling for a while I found a nice piece of aluminum flat-stock that I thught I could slide between the roof and panel and then use that too pry the header panel out. I was absolutely frightened to see how much the roof was flexing while they separated and I actually ended up with a small indentation that I will be working out now when I paint it hopefully in spring.

Now the light itself I thought there were 2 scres that held the housing in place. One I am fairly sure acted as a ground for the light but not sure about any hooks. Can you get some pics of where you are stuck to help us see?

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
That's the thing... The screws make sense to hold it in place except there is nowhere for the screws to go...

Can't screw through the thin roof. So I don't get it. I guess I can take pictures in the morning of the holes in my headliner and the side of the dome light that meets the headliner . I just don't get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online