Back to SN95 again

killagt

Reaction score
lol back to sn95 again, just pick up a very high miles 190k miles 98 mustang gt, in mint condition, just high mile. Doing some maint, any suggest, thank you

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't give us much to go on. High mileage doesn't mean anything if the car was maintained properly.... lol....

OP
OP
K

killagt

Reaction score
Its california car, it whole life, 2 owner. YES ITS AUTOMATIC, that one reason I bought it. Its mainly just for ANY one in my family or gf just jump in and drive. Since its stock to the bone, imma keep it the way its and just doing maint and drive it on nice day. Another reason why I bought this 98 gt because my first mustang was the 98 GT ( Black ), and since I sold it back in 08, few years later, I have better job and my life is in better shape, I been looking to buy back my old 98 GT for few years now, but no luck, mabe this 98 GT can help me replace my old 98 GT and move on with life.
33ykhf4.jpg

1z3nndi.jpg

28tcks0.jpg

Which oil weight do you guys use and brand for this high miles mustang.
Which gear oil weight and brand do you guy use ?
Which transmission fluid and filter do you guys recommend ? and what type of transmission do I have ?
thanks guys, its good to be back. I been with foxbody for so long. I miss the SN95 more.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! (By the way, plenty of people here have an auto Mustang, no is one going to jump down your throat for that - it's all good here.) It'll be a fun cruiser - and if you are able to resist the mod bug and kept it stock, my hat off to you. It's very hard to avoid catching that bug :D

Reaction score
I have a high mileage car so I guess my recommendation would be get ALL fluids changed. Oil, power steering, transmission fluid, rear diff oil, coolant/antifreeze flush and new fluid, brake fluid. Also probably good to make sure the intake isn't cracked since it'll likely happen unless it's a PI. Spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil packs (maybe), new intake filter, new belt, new brakes (rotors and pads), fuel filter and pump. New tires if they're low. That's all I can think of currently but I'm sure more will show itself the more it's driven

OP
OP
K

killagt

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! (By the way, plenty of people here have an auto Mustang, no is one going to jump down your throat for that - it's all good here.) It'll be a fun cruiser - and if you are able to resist the mod bug and kept it stock, my hat off to you. It's very hard to avoid catching that bug :D

:eek:

OP
OP
K

killagt

Reaction score
I have a high mileage car so I guess my recommendation would be get ALL fluids changed. Oil, power steering, transmission fluid, rear diff oil, coolant/antifreeze flush and new fluid, brake fluid. Also probably good to make sure the intake isn't cracked since it'll likely happen unless it's a PI. Spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil packs (maybe), new intake filter, new belt, new brakes (rotors and pads), fuel filter and pump. New tires if they're low. That's all I can think of currently but I'm sure more will show itself the more it's driven

I need to know what type of fluid for all this ;)

what type of transmission do I have ? its a good transmission ? Cause early automatic in a foxbody is a nightmare, easy over heat at 200 degree .

Reaction score
i personally like to use 10w30 for my car, but usually when i get it changed at a shop they put in 5w30. conventional oil should be fine, but im going to be using royal purple with my next change because the car is high enough in mileage that it might as well use the synthetic. especially if im racing it. our cars tend to burn oil a bit more than normal cars and they werent made for synthetic, so its your choice if you want to use synthetic or conventional. for the gear oil i would use royal purple 75w90. plain and simple. also if youre going to swap the rear oil it may make some sense to get a diff cover that can drain and fill easily since it will be coming off for the replacing of the gear oil. when it comes to trans fluid you got me, ive never had it done, but i know it needs to be. i say consult the google or wait for others to chime in here which they all do great at. coolant is just coolant so nothing special, but i would buy the non mix because you can make it last longer.

also i just remembered for your driveline, which this might not be an issue for you cause its not manual, check to see if it (driveline) needs to be "rebuilt". i dont remember if its the splines that connect or not but they can break. i had mine fixed when i was getting the 410s in my car and since i havent upgraded to the aluminum unit i wanted to be fixed

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

No worries ;)

I need to know what type of fluid for all this ;)

Do you happen to have the owner's manual for your car? If so, I'd just use what it recommends. Lots of people have opinions on what oil, what viscosity, etc. This is kind of up to you. Even the viscosity to a degree. If you are unsure, I'd recommend whatever the owner's manual calls for.

I flipped through my manual in case you don't have one, here's what it says (keep in mind this is for a 1995):

OIL:
------
3.8L -> 5W-30 preferred, 10W-30 is okay for moderate to hot temps
5.0L -> 10W-30 is preferred, 5W-30 is okay for temps below 0

COOLANT:
-----------
Any premium nationally recognized brand name. Maintain mixture between 40% to 60% antifreeze.

AUTO TRANS FLUID:
--------------
Use only MERCON ATF fluid

POWER STEERING FLUID:
----------------
Use only an equivalent Type F Automatic Trans fluid with a Ford registration number (an 8-digit number beginning with "ZP" printed on the container)

REAR AXLE:
-------------
Motorcraft Premium Rear Axle Lubricant*

*Note: for the rear axle, it depends. Some people run Royal Purple, or other stuff. It's up to you. Just be sure to add friction modifier if you have Trac-Lok rear end, as some rear axle lubes do not have friction modifier in it.

OP
OP
K

killagt

Reaction score
Yes I think I still have the owner manual for my old 98 mustang gt, that I sold back then.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
5w-20 full synthetic for the engine and mercon V for the transmission. 190K miles is not "very high mileage". That car should be just fine for a bunch more miles.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
the consulting of the owners manual is in need... and im still having the misfire issue too...

Owners manual should say 5w-30 but Ford had updated that and said to run 5w-20 because the lash adjusters and tight tolerances like the thinner oil. I always say to run full synthetic because it doesn't break down like mineral oil and doesn't sludge up.

Nighttrain

Reaction score

Impossible to avoid that bug

Reaction score
Owners manual should say 5w-30 but Ford had updated that and said to run 5w-20 because the lash adjusters and tight tolerances like the thinner oil. I always say to run full synthetic because it doesn't break down like mineral oil and doesn't sludge up.

Good info. I specifically put 5w-30 in my car prior to this because of what was printed in the 90's.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Also, I somehow missed it but the diff will use 75-140. Your transmission is going to be a 4r70w. Only use Mercon V in it. Regular mercon fluid will cause the transmission to shutter. They are good transmissions and the biggest problem with building them for performance, is the torque converter. Doing a J-Mod will help the performance of the automatic transmission and make it more fun to drive. Putting a ratchet shifter in there makes it feel more fun too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.