Bad gas mileage?

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by 95Grandtouring5.0, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 95Grandtouring5.0

95Grandtouring5.0 Well-Known Member

I have a 95 gt mustang, with just bolt ons. To be exact, 4:10 gears, bbk cai, bbk 70mm tb, Mac cat back. Those are the only Real performance mods I have that would affect gas mileage and my car is doing horrible. The car runs great, it doesn't miss a beat. The exhaust has a nice clean smell to it and no black smoke. Yet I find myself filling my gas tank up after 100-115miles and I always refill when its at 1/4 a tank. I never let it go below that. What could be making my car do so horrible with gas? I mean I know the gears do a good part, but most of the time I always short shift. So Im lost. Any ideas?

2. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

start with the basics, like a tune up (plugs, cap/rotor, fuel filter, air filter)...if that doesnt help, then check/replace the Oxygen sensors....
    sounds like some pretty horrible mileage...

3. Paul

Paul Legend

Is your EGR functioning properly? That affects fuel mileage.

4. scarface

scarface Guest

I vote for the 02 sensors...mine were bad and I had terrible gas mileage.

5. 95Grandtouring5.0

Well a month or 2 ago i had clutch problems and I had to drop the exhaust and everything, mind you the gas mileage has been this bad since i bought the car. Anyway when we were putting the h pipe back up, we broke a 02 sensor and I went and bought a new one. I only had money for one at the time so thats all I could get. But I didnt notice any difference. I'm going to go to a shop soon tho and see if my car is throwing any codes.

6. Paul

Paul Legend

Rather than spending all the money to take it to a shop to check codes, just buy a code scanner. They're only about $30 at Checker, and come complete with a book telling you what all the codes mean. Then you'll have it down the road.

7. MeanGrn Gt

MeanGrn Gt Well-Known Member

definately needs a tune up. i was getting decent mileage (around 180 before id fill up). New fuel filter and some injector cleaner and now i get 220 normally. if highway miles i go about 240 and still have 1/4 tank left.

8. jared6180

jared6180 New Member

I drive my 94 GT with mods in the sig and 126k miles on it to and from work everyday(35miles one way) usually I shift at 2500 rpm, and I get on it at least once a day. The car needs a tune up but it still gets 20-22mpg on MOSTLY highway driving, I usually fill up at around 265-275miles on the trip odometer.

A previous Mustang I had did about 14mpg, I put in a K&N air filter, and new spark plugs, and wires, and the MSD Cap and rotor set at Autozone, ,and a new fuel filter, and changed to synthetic oil, and the mileage went up to about 20mpg immediatley IN TOWN! On the highway that thing did up to around 27mpg.

I plan to do the same thing on my current Mustang and I would advise you to do the same. No matter how many miles the car has it is my policy to make those changes now on every car that I own, i did it to two neons I owned, and all the mustnags I have owned except one.

CLIFFS NOTES: Get a good performance minded tune up!!!

9. 95Grandtouring5.0

Well the cap and rotor is a brand new msd. However the wires look a bit old so I will replace them with my next pay check, then a new fuel filter and I will have it taken to a shop. If I don't I'll buy 2 new 02 sensors straight up.

10. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

My 95 has been suckin up the gas too. Im gonna have to do the same. Good post :thumb:

11. Paul

Paul Legend

You can do the fuel filter yourself! Get a Chilton's manual (or similar) and try it. You could do the O2 sensors too while you have the car up on jackstands. A fuel filter is something that a shadetree mechanic can do with no trouble.

Paul.

12. houston5.0jay

houston5.0jay New Member

Um what if im getting the same thing and Ive done all those things?

I replaced both O2s... fuel filter air filter plugs wires cap rotor... and I still dont get crap for mileage.. AND!! the damn thing has 2:73s in it...

and I have a nasty WOT ping with 93 octane and weird temps as well..

13. scarface

scarface Guest

check your timing, sound like it is WAY high.

14. SaleenStang94

SaleenStang94 Member

idk about that.... stock 5.0s could not make 27mpg. thats very high. i have new(month old max) fuel pump, pulleys, cap, rotor, wires, o2s (bosch), plugs, fuel pressure regulator (40psi) and still only make 15mpg highway/city but i need a new tune and have every bolt on.