best cam for my stock 5.0

rabbit2620

Reaction score
What would be the best cam for my stock 94 5.0? I just want the choppy sound not worried about adding HP.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A cam with a long overlap duration, low low lift. Im not familiar with windsor cams and acceptability with 95 electronics, but someone will chime in. You come to the right place

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
B303 FORD CAM
LUMPY BUMPY
its a good cam you dont really need to modify the engine it will run without tune
but i would get one just to clean it up a bit
gas milage will notice a bit
performance will gain but not by much

there are many cams out there but you want choppy

OP
OP
rabbit2620

rabbit2620

Reaction score
B303 FORD CAM
LUMPY BUMPY
its a good cam you dont really need to modify the engine it will run without tune
but i would get one just to clean it up a bit
gas milage will notice a bit
performance will gain but not by much

there are many cams out there but you want choppy
Alot of people say stay away from the letter cams why is that?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i have never actually heard that
i have had a lot of luck with that cam
some people they may not
there are some cam companies that copy the B cam or real close to the numbers
i had comp cam that was very similar to the b CAM

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
i have never actually heard that
i have had a lot of luck with that cam
some people they may not
there are some cam companies that copy the B cam or real close to the numbers
i had comp cam that was very similar to the b CAM

Internet Facebook people . Always say letter cams are junk . A f303 is one of my fave off the shelf cams for supercharged cars pulls hard to 6500 and sounds killer at idle

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ive seen the same criticism. Dont know why either. Cams are like coffee, chocolate, cheese....there are some many flavors and variations....find the one that suits you. Well the same is for your engine. Being a letter cam, meaning actual ford part, ford did the homework for you and these guys have been playing with mustangs for a good while, they would know. They are leading you in a good direction.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like everything in your build a cam is part of a combo that needs to be matched up. For instance an X303 cam is a good N/A cam but won't work well in a boosted application because the exhaust valves will open too early and bleed off boost. I think the alphabet cams get a bad rep because a lot of idiots out there buying them because they are cheap and not setting up the rest of their combo to get the most from the cam.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Steeda has a couple of good cams that provide better power and still pass smog. I ran one for a while and was happy with it.

TrickVert

Reaction score
As I understand it, the Steeda #19 cam was designed specifically to play nice with the 94/95 computer.

Mine:

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
As I understand it, the Steeda #19 cam was designed specifically to play nice with the 94/95 computer.

Mine:

You're probably right. Dario Orlando, the owner of Steeda, raced a '95 Cobra R in IMSA Grand Sports where they were very limited regarding what they could and could not do to those cars since it was considered a "street stock" class. He probably developed that cam for that very reason. The '95 R came with a flat tappet cam though, so I'd check with them on that because I do not recall either way.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
It is a roller cam, so I must have changed out my lifters at that same time. It does have a wider 115 degree lobe separation which makes it very computer friendly.

Ronnied

Reaction score
I run a 303, stock other than 70mm tb and headers. With the right mufflers it has a mild choppy sound w/o being obnoxious.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a trickflow stage 1 and I was happy with the power bump and the sound. They are supposed to be friendly with the computer but I still needed a tune. I would count on one with the cost honestly, or at the very least have access to the cash and someone that can do it if ya try it and it does need it. Finding people that will tune 94/95 is getting harder and harder to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAR_19

Members online

No members online now.