on3 Turbo w/ Pimpxs on stock '95 gt

Swizzy

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Looking for some input from some of the veteran guys who have been where I am currently at.

Have a 1995 gt w/ ~70k miles, stock motor
-cold air intake
-no cats w/ x-pipe
-MSD distributor w/ 6AL box
-cobra roller rockers
-stock T5
-3.08 gears

Just finished rebuilding the suspension with some BMR/Eibach/maximum motorsports parts. Car feels very tight on the road now, but looking to get a bit more power on the street. (also have done the ATS brake swap)

Been reading through forum posts and have landed on just leaving the motor untouched and throwing a On3 kit w/ Pimpxs on the car with the goal being ~400ish hp at the end. After heads/cam/supporting mods I think I'll be further in the hole with less to show for it performance wise.

What boost numbers will I need to hit this target? 8-10psi?
Will the stock T5 survive at this hp? (already grinds 3rd a little) Should I just run it until it gives?
Is the pnp pimpxs the best way to get my foot in the tuning door? (want to retain stock harness)
is 67mm ceramic bearing turbo worth cost over 70mm journal bearing?
Head studs/gasket combo?
General opinions on the plan?

Thanks for any and all advice.

joemomma

Reaction score
Following. From everything I've read, the On3 kit is the "easy button" as far as power goes. HCI will also get you there, but is a bit more involved and likely won't hit the same power numbers for the same dollars.

95opal

Reaction score
T5 was inadequate with stock hp/tq numbers. But ive seen them survive some abuse but wouldnt count on it. I split the case on my last t5 shifting into 3rd. Talk about a wrist jammer.
Im for the tried and true journal bearing set up.
Head studs for sure.
Been playing with the PIMPxs for a few weeks now and have no complaints. Retaining the stock harness was a plus for me since ive eliminated a good portion of it and have it all hidden so rerouting a complete new harness wasnt going to happen for me.
Just be sure to have enough fuel.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
T5 was inadequate with stock hp/tq numbers. But ive seen them survive some abuse but wouldnt count on it. I split the case on my last t5 shifting into 3rd. Talk about a wrist jammer.
Head studs for sure.
Been playing with the PIMPxs for a few weeks now and have no complaints. Retaining the stock harness was a plus for me since ive eliminated a good portion of it and have it all hidden so rerouting a complete new harness wasnt going to happen for me.
Don’t mean to get the thread off track. You’ve got your car running now? Can we get some pictures or videos or something?

OP
OP
Swizzy

Swizzy

Reaction score
Head studs for sure.
Was planning to just order the 340lph fuel pump and 47lb injectors from On3. I'll just plan on jumping to a TKX in the near future as well then. ARP best bet for head studs? How was the tune stinger sent over with the pimpxs?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing similar but different. My plan is S-Trim (great deal on FB Marketplace), AFR china heads, GT40 intake, and a Microsquirt PnP.

Base tune should be adequate enough to get the car fired, but obviously it'll still need good bit of tuning once boost is in the equation.

I feel like eventually I'll end up going On3, because turbo noises but got a good enough deal on the Vortech that I've got to run it for a bit at least.

I've seen some T5s get absolutely beat on and live, I've seen some grenade doing nothing so my vote (and my plan) is run it til it pops and let my wallet decide then if I'm finding another to slap in it or upgrading.

ARP is go-to for studs, there is a particular part number folks preferred in the FelPro, but I don't have my notebook nearby to grab it easy.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Headstuds 60 lb injectors a 340LPH pump and 10 psi is what I’d do .

tvsn95

Reaction score
I agree with MUSTURD.
I tell anybody that will listen, for tuning get with Adam at POP's racing. Do what he recommends and save $$$$$ in parts/time
I can asuure you that you will make 400 hp at 2-5 lbs. I make 740 at 11
for low HP like you are wanting the 340lph will do fine.I know for a fact.
buy GOOD injectors (Siemens/Bosh) NOT THE chingchong knockoffs.
your fuel rails and lines should work at this level ok.... Ohh, use a relay to power the pump, always.
If you decide to not get a truly smart guy to tune. get goooood at changing head gaskets. you will understand what I mean,, And ...I told ya so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_sn95

Members online