Best way to achieve 300-350rwhp with a NPI 4.6L?

George

Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to give a little info on a car I just purchased and what you guys think would be the best way to get 300-350rwhp to the ground would be? I have thought about rebuilds with blowers, built up N/A, swaps, throwing a vortech on it as is, and seeing what happens lol, there are two local shops here in town that have dynos not sure of there tuning capabilities though. I'd like to stay within 3-5000 dollars. Most everything will be done myself with the exception of obvious things like machining, dyno tuning and such.

I've had the car a month. 98 GT 5 speed, it does have high mileage 235kms which is around 146000 miles. The car seems to run flawlessly. I've heard a few modulars in SN's and my best friend (has had a few SN's) agrees it's one of the best sounding ones he has heard. Under the hood I'm saying. No knocks, irregular noises, slaps, doesn't even have a noisy valve train.

The only mods to the engine are a PI Intake, BBK Cold Air, O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back.

I am currently running 3.73 and want to wait till my engine is at the HP range, and aspiration I desire before I select gears I will stick with.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this novel I wrote and if you guys could just throw out some personal opinions it would be much appreciated.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to give a little info on a car I just purchased and what you guys think would be the best way to get 300-350rwhp to the ground would be? I have thought about rebuilds with blowers, built up N/A, swaps, throwing a vortech on it as is, and seeing what happens lol, there are two local shops here in town that have dynos not sure of there tuning capabilities though. I'd like to stay within 3-5000 dollars. Most everything will be done myself with the exception of obvious things like machining, dyno tuning and such.

I've had the car a month. 98 GT 5 speed, it does have high mileage 235kms which is around 146000 miles. The car seems to run flawlessly. I've heard a few modulars in SN's and my best friend (has had a few SN's) agrees it's one of the best sounding ones he has heard. Under the hood I'm saying. No knocks, irregular noises, slaps, doesn't even have a noisy valve train.

The only mods to the engine are a PI Intake, BBK Cold Air, O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back.

I am currently running 3.73 and want to wait till my engine is at the HP range, and aspiration I desire before I select gears I will stick with.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this novel I wrote and if you guys could just throw out some personal opinions it would be much appreciated.

Buy it a vortech kit some bigger injectors , fuel pump a new maf and have some fun

OP
OP
George

George

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking Musturd, you don't think 146000 miles is too high for boost? I was thinking with a proper tune between 6-9 should yield 300hp.

Not looking to pull anyone's skin of there face. Would just like to be able to melt some 275's here and there.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking Musturd, you don't think 146000 miles is too high for boost? I was thinking with a proper tune between 6-9 should yield 300hp.

Not looking to pull anyone's skin of there face. Would just like to be able to melt some 275's here and there.

No i don't think it's bad at all if you access to a compression tester ... Check all cylinders and if they check out fine giver shit . I'd just go for 10lbs right away . With the pi intake it should make around 320rwhp and have a great street manners

Wichers123

Reaction score
Haha I have 4 cylinders with broken upper ring lands and I'm running 12psi intercooled with no problems. 2v's are hard to kill. Biggest thing wrong with the vortech kit is no intercooler.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
You can do a nice Vortech Aftercooled or intercooled setup for way less than your budget of 3-5k. I had a V2 Aftercooled with the exact same mods you had and it made around 400RWHP at 14lbs on the bone stock 134,000 mile motor with zero issues. If you want an easy install, go this route. It's a simple weekend project. If you want to REALLY have a fun car, go with an ON3 Performance turbo kit. The install will take weeks and completely suck, but the end result is worth it.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
All good advice ... I went the blower route because I gotta deal ... I suggest going the blower route for you as well because it is a lot cheaper then going turbo on a 2v because a k member is required ...

OP
OP
George

George

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. I suppose as long as the cylinders check out and yield a good compression test it would be a little more piece of mind. I am going to buy one. I'm sure they aren't too expensive. I have tons of tools and access to a great shop to work in.

I have my sights set on the V2 after cooled set up. Is it worth the extra money for the after cooler? I also see the kit comes with a T-Rex fuel pump assembly. Does this mean the SVT focus pump isn't needed?

This May sound like a silly noob question but do pro chargers benefit from blow off valves or is it not needed where it's low psi and centrifugal?

Wichers123

Reaction score
Here I can help you save money. Just get a aeromotive in tank pump, 42lb injectors. You can run the after cooler or you can run a cx racing intercooler kit and I believe a must is go blowthru, vms makes a really nice setup. All these added extras will actually save you money over the after cooler setup. And don't forget the big must a good shop to tune.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
This^ that's what I run a stealth 340 with 42's more then enough room for big power I'm goona upgrade to 60's soon though

slow90coupe

Reaction score
This^ that's what I run a stealth 340 with 42's more then enough room for big power I'm goona upgrade to 60's soon though
I'll 3rd this. Frpp 42s can be had for $200, 340 pump is like $200 iirc, then a lightning MAF is $100.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im predicting in the 300-315rwhp with my 5.4l npi....if I ever get it done. Work owns me

OP
OP
George

George

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. This is all new waters for me. I've never boosted a car before so all this extra info means a lot. So the 340 stealth fuel pump, matched with the cx racing intercooler kit made for 96-04 mustangs running a v2, and some 42lb injectors will be the route to go. Any suggestions on what brand of injectors to run? I've heard of a few to stay away from like venom. I'm assuming ford racing would be a safe bet? I was also thinking about running a BBK one piece throttle body plenum. Yay or nay on the TB?

I plan to order the V2 here within hoe next few weeks and have everything gathered up before the snow flies.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
The best 42lb injectors out there are ford racing injectors. I've had 2 sets of them and they've been great. The only problem is you pretty much have to buy them new and there's a huge demand for them, so you'll need to search the classifieds to find some.

OP
OP
George

George

Reaction score
I can already see I'm going to have tons of fun finding a new set of 42LB ford racing injectors lol, so this leaves my last question. Is there any other brands out there that make a good injector?

I can't wait to get this system underway. Can't thank you guys enough for the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online