Big block swap

Bonez91

Reaction score
Ok dont know if this is the right spot but here goes. I have a 97 cobra got into an accident and totaled it. Im doing a 545cid swap(460 swap). Has anyone ever tackled this before? i just want to know any wrong turns someone has made on this type of project to keep from going down the same road. Btw its not whether i should or should not do this, it is an im doing it just want some pointers before I start type post

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I don't have any advice to give but please post pics and updates. This will be cool to see unfold, everyone loves a good resurrection build!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Plenty of pictures! Document all the work and make a build thread. Are you planning to keep your fuel injections or go carbed? I think a fuel injected big block would be pretty cool. I've never done it but you would have to address engine mounts, trans mounts, you would have to get a big block trans, and then find driveshaft length. It shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. You'll have to make brackets for power steering and a/c.

OP
OP
B

Bonez91

Reaction score
I will make a build thread. My plans are to do dual blow through carbs with twin turbos. Im doin a power glide trans. Prolly will be a custom made rear end. the front suspension was why the car was totaled (got pushed into a curb). So the whole front suspension will be changed ...well the front and back... its going to be a beast pretty much a tube chassis drag car to go pick up the kids from school/go to sonic for a sweet tea

OP
OP
B

Bonez91

Reaction score
Oh and ive found a website that specializes in big block swaps for motor mounts and possibility of headers... and whos needs power steering and ac lol

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Nobody needs power steering of power breaks but EVERYONE needs a/c lol. That's how mine will be, I have to have my a/c.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This will be too cool! Im all eye's watching this one! What hp level is planned?

OP
OP
B

Bonez91

Reaction score
Dont be judgmental shes under surgery right now
20160227_163221_zpsisgyobpl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thomas_W

Reaction score
If your going tube chassis, then your probably going into some pretty unusual territory for most. I have desires to eventually back half my 99, but income levels need to increase. Lol

OP
OP
B

Bonez91

Reaction score
I hear you there it will be a slow process but I have built a back half in a truck with lots of tubing so im just gunna measure then measure again then prolly again before i even think about welding lol

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Lol. Yep, pretty much what i plan on. Ive been thinking of a S&W race cars 4 link backhalf kits... But if go that far in depth, it'll probably be a track only car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Staff online

Members online