Blew a plug today...

Shouter

Reaction score
4e8f4fe241dfc0b1f3cadb812da7ca93.jpg

Well the number 2 plug blew out this morning.
7bd6fb35eab7d15c35ca7d721a6d7210.jpg

Limped it back to work and here it sits, I guess it's time for the rethread kit. I know it's a common problem, but is the timesert kit a permanent solution?

wmfateam

Reaction score
I just blew a plug and replaced it with a time sert, seems to be better then the limited stock threads in the b heads

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Timesert, locknstitch, or helicoil. Timeserts and locknstitch are not normally available to the masses. Mechanic shops handle them so they are installed correctly. These companies keep it that way. Helicoil or similar are available off the shelves locally and easy to do, work great, but back out or dont stay seated.

OP
OP
S

Shouter

Reaction score
I'm a more than capable mechanic, so I would like to find a timesert kit, bit they're 400 bucks.....does anyone have one on here that they would be willing to loan out? I also saw a doorman kit that kind of looked like a timesert insert.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Timesert are really good, some that are running high boost will do all the plugs for extra strength.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thought this said you blew a pug at first. I was afraid to click on it till I read it again slowly...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im sure you want to get the car moving. That why ill inform the worst news, but best option. Pull the engine and do all the plugs. Cause another stupid plug will blow at the most inconvenient time, leaving you stranded again. Most likely worse, destroying a cylinder.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
That sucks man - I blew two on the F250 I used to have.
Worst part was having to buy a new Plug Coil each time.

I would also suggest just spending the money for the timeserts, pulling the heads and doing them all.
Sucks but will give you peace of mind in the future.

Pack Rat

Reaction score
I have a Lisle Kit and it works fine. I just bought a Timesert (Bigsert) kit to replace a timesert that blew out. The one I bought was double oversize. Lisle and timesert use different pitch on the outside of the insert. Never pulled a head to repair.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I had a buddy use the helicoil on his 99gt Spark plug shot back out within the next 300mi. I've heard very good things from the Timesert kits. Galaxy is the name of the guy on the f150 forums if I remember right.

Goldmember

Reaction score
The only thing better than the Timesert/Bigsert is flat-out replacing the head.

My #4 plug ejected itself a couple years back. Turned out that the original plug had already blown and the previous owner shoved a Dorman over-sized self-tapping plug in. This almost made it impossible to time-sert the head and it was shaky up until a Mercedes Sprinter van got rid of the car for me. Hopefully that's not your case and it's an OE plug.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I decided not to reuse my FoxLake ported PI heads and shelled out the cash for some Trickflows. I just don't want to worry about running 12-16psi and popping out a plug. If I was staying N/A I would have no worries of puking plugs though.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I have stock pi heads and I run 17psi daily and pull plugs often and have no problems. It's all about how tight the plug is installed.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You just lucky!! But yea you're right. Reinstalling the plugs with strong arm gorilla brains destroys the threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online