Blower Cam Help!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well, I could have sworn Tim told me over at MPH that they did NON PI head grinds, but apparently they dont. So, my MPH custom grind blower cams are out of the picture. I just wanted to see what you guys recommend kind of cams I go with for my NON PI, s/c'd GT. I was checking out HP292's (Houston Performance) and Comps NON PI s/c'd grind. Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks guys

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I was just on VTengines.com and found these Crower stage 2 NON PI s/c cams. I'm really starting to like these, I just sent them an email asking for some numbers on them and such, anybody any feedback on these? or any cams on which they recommend in general?

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
scarface said:
what makes them not compatible with the non pi?

What I was gonna ask. I am 99.9999999% sure can run PI cams in NPI heads with a little work. You can either have the spring perches machined to accept spring for a PI cam or you can get the Crower offest spring to run PI cams into NPI heads.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I agree with Jfor441. There is no reason why you cant run a PI cam in there with some Crower offset springs!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well after talking with droptoppony ive decided to go with some Crower Stage 2 NON PI S/C cams with Comp Beehive Springs.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well, I just got an email back from Scott at VT Engines because I was asking him for some info on the Crower Stage 2 NON PI blower cams. He said that he hasn't done anything with NON PI motors in 5 years. But he did say to look for a cam that is no more than 230 duration at .050". That is exactly what the ones I was looking at are:

http://www.crower.com/cat/domestic/ford/mustang_camshafts.shtml (the stage 2 s/c ones for 94-98's)

The only thing that threw me off is he said I can run a bit more aggressive cam if I do a torque convertor first and if it was his car he would most likely do the convertor first than do the aggressive cam and that I'd be happier with the results in the long run. I have always heard though that the convertor should be made to my cam specs, or did I have that backwards? If he is right, I guess I'll do the stall first then look into the cams, input please!

S

scarface

Ive told you before you need a stall first. now you see why the specs on my cams werent as aggressive as the ones you were looking at.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
ahhhh makes sense now. Looks like I will be getting in contact with BC-Automative fairly soon then. One other question, I know when doing a stall I should send/inform the maker of my cars power band and such. I just recently had my car dyno tuned, but will be doing an FMIC before the stall. Will I really have to get another dyno tune because of the FMIC or can I just use my latest dyno sheet pre-FMIC.

S

scarface

blown97stanger said:
ahhhh makes sense now. Looks like I will be getting in contact with BC-Automative fairly soon then. One other question, I know when doing a stall I should send/inform the maker of my cars power band and such. I just recently had my car dyno tuned, but will be doing an FMIC before the stall. Will I really have to get another dyno tune because of the FMIC or can I just use my latest dyno sheet pre-FMIC.
you should get another tune for the FMIC..you need to change your timing and a/f ratios

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Okay, well I was planning on doing the FMIC myself. Will it be fine to drive the car on its current tune with the FMIC for about an hour to the shop? I'm thinking I'll install the i/c, take the car to the shop and they can install the bypass valve and give it a retune. Then I'll get the stall, and finally the cams. Hows that sound?

S

scarface

yes you can drive it fine, you will just benefit from the tune.

your plan sounds good.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
I was just on VTengines.com and found these Crower stage 2 NON PI s/c cams. I'm really starting to like these, I just sent them an email asking for some numbers on them and such, anybody any feedback on these? or any cams on which they recommend in general?
+ 50 buy them if they have them in stock. Their cams are killer!

svtboy

Reaction score
just put pi cams in it... the stage 2 non pi cams are almost similar specs as the stock pi cams. Do a search I have posted all the specs here before. its not worth the money.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
The duration is very different. Lift is not what give the power but it does contribute. In comparing cams you have look at all aspects not just one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online