Buying a Trans Today

Vettn71

Reaction score
The AODE in my 95 GT has a severe case of the shudders. Locally, there is a trans from 2000 2WD Ford Explorer that is available. It has 90,000 miles on it. My plan is to switch out the wiring harness and extension housing from my AODE to the 4R70W, check the accumulator pistons, possibly replace the solenoids with like units, replace the seals at the extension housing and output shaft and buy a new TC.

Is this the best trans to get for my car, or should I go with the same model year V6 tranny?
WIll I have any problems switching extension housings?
Anything else I need to do?

TIA

Jim

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
To save yourself the money and headache.. You could buy a aode rebuild kit and have a tranny shop do the work.. I wouldn't ever buy a used trans unless your gonna have it rebuilt but thats just me.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I appreciate the thought, but that didn't answer my question. Just trying to find out of the Explorer tranny will work without changing the outout shaft

Jim

Addermk2

Reaction score
This should tell you what you need to know.

tinyurl.com/mqpzxrm

teal95gt

Reaction score
I have a freshly built aode I could sell you for cheap from my totaled car I just sold the car to the shop doing my coyote swap for 500 to pay for some parts etc. I could have them pull out the trans for you and give u a sick deal on it if you would pay for shipping, it only has about 100 miles on it.

toyman

Reaction score
The AODE in my 95 GT has a severe case of the shudders. Locally, there is a trans from 2000 2WD Ford Explorer that is available. It has 90,000 miles on it. My plan is to switch out the wiring harness and extension housing from my AODE to the 4R70W, check the accumulator pistons, possibly replace the solenoids with like units, replace the seals at the extension housing and output shaft and buy a new TC.

Is this the best trans to get for my car, or should I go with the same model year V6 tranny?
WIll I have any problems switching extension housings?
Anything else I need to do?

TIA

Jim

The shudder is usually just a torque converter issue. For a replacement transmission the '99 and up V6 4R70W bolt right in and are good to about 700rwhp. There are a few things that need to be changed. You need to swap the tailhousing from the '95 to the 4R70W and the clutch converter solenoid from the '95 needs to replace the one in the 4R70W and some VB alterations. Check the TCCOA site for more info. You can also just replace the AODE gear set with the 4R70W set and keep your transmission.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about the trans situation. Bunch of work to do to have to do twice, so I bought a 4R70W Stage 1 trans from Transmission Depot (BBB A+ rating). It has a TransGo kit installed, all the proper solenoids for my 95 GT and the correct tail shaft. My question now is what do I have to do to get the PCM and trans to work together? From what I've read the change in gearset will cause problems. Not sure where to go on this, so those of you with experience could help me out a bunch

TIA
jim

Addermk2

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about the trans situation. Bunch of work to do to have to do twice, so I bought a 4R70W Stage 1 trans from Transmission Depot (BBB A+ rating). It has a TransGo kit installed, all the proper solenoids for my 95 GT and the correct tail shaft. My question now is what do I have to do to get the PCM and trans to work together? From what I've read the change in gearset will cause problems. Not sure where to go on this, so those of you with experience could help me out a bunch

TIA
jim

yup, but any competent tuner can have you up and running in no time.

Call your local mustang shop.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score

TIA
jim

toyman

Reaction score
I don't think it will be much of an issue especially if you change the VVS driven gear. The 1-2 and 2-3 will occur a few mph sooner with the stock gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online