Can a twin screw car be competitive for the top end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I was thinking about it tonight. Can a twin screw car hold its own the highway? Or will it get out shined by centrifugal, or turbocharged car. To make this less confusing to think about. If they all have similiar power levels, would the twin-screw car fall short on the top end? People with experience should chime in. I know these blowers are made for drag style runs, but seeing if they are efficient enough to beat the competition if they were racing on a highway, or air strip with a long stretch.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Turbo yes usually murder all for top end....

Twin screw vs centri .... my money is on the twin screw but a lot of factors come into play obviously ....

The D3v

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I guess it really depends on how the engine is setup from the get go. If we think about it, boost = boost. The way its "made" is up to the supercharger, but the way the engine reacts to perhaps 15lbs of PSI from 2-6k rpm would different from centri car, or turbo car. Would the centri car pull away from twin screw car? I know for a fact the turbo car would pull away, because its fully spooled at 15lbs, vs twin screw car @ 15lbs staying at close 5k WOT down the highway.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well the turbo would be the fastest hands down.

The centri would, 100% pull a twin screw car on the highway.

Thats just the way it is, they are more efficient up top and continue to make more and more power with RPM.

Of course im not sure why this matters cause it all depends on how the cars are setup and how much boost each is running.

Its hard to compare centri vs twin screw boost because a twin screw will make full boost from 2-6k and a centri just keeps building boost with RPMs.

But let me put it this way, even with a twin screw pushing 12 psi, and my centri PEAKING at 12 psi, I would still put my money on my centri on the highway.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I figured thats why twinscrew blowers fall short a tiny bit on the top end. The pull from centri and turbo car just keeps going and going, when the twinscrew car falls flat on its face. I wonder if it would be wise to just get single turbo kit, or twin turbo kit for the best of both worlds?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I figured thats why twinscrew blowers fall short a tiny bit on the top end. The pull from centri and turbo car just keeps going and going, when the twinscrew car falls flat on its face. I wonder if it would be wise to just get single turbo kit, or twin turbo kit for the best of both worlds?

I mean a single turbo would be fine...you have a v8, not a 4 banger so the torque is already decent anyway.

I wish I went turbo....I may actually sell my blower and go turbo in the near future :)

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I mean a single turbo would be fine...you have a v8, not a 4 banger so the torque is already decent anyway.

I wish I went turbo....I may actually sell my blower and go turbo in the near future :)

W.T.F lol, YES?!? Do it and dont look back. on3performance kit? hmmmm..... Only thing I dont like about turbo car is the mario brothers pipe work underneath the engine and engine bay lol.

Saint

Reaction score
I mean...you could always put a turbo and a twinscrew/ roots blower

Been done a hundred times

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
W.T.F lol, YES?!? Do it and dont look back. on3performance kit? hmmmm..... Only thing I dont like about turbo car is the mario brothers pipe work underneath the engine and engine bay lol.

Im actually SERIOUSLY considering it....even put a feller for sale for my blower up on corral....

I pay do a on3 with full k member/aarms/ and coil over setup.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
man I can't decide what I want to do to finish off my motor. I would love to get the most out of my power pipe and go turbo but I just honestyl don't need all the power all the time which is why I am leanign towards nitrous...

the.greg

Reaction score
I was thinking about it tonight. Can a twin screw car hold its own the highway? Or will it get out shined by centrifugal, or turbocharged car. To make this less confusing to think about. If they all have similiar power levels, would the twin-screw car fall short on the top end? People with experience should chime in. I know these blowers are made for drag style runs, but seeing if they are efficient enough to beat the competition if they were racing on a highway, or air strip with a long stretch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if all were at similar power levels than wouldn't they all be equal at the top end?? And I would give the advantage to the twin screw because it has better low and mid range. But yes in general a turbo and centri will make better peak numbers for sure.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if all were at similar power levels than wouldn't they all be equal at the top end?? And I would give the advantage to the twin screw because it has better low and mid range. But yes in general a turbo and centri will make better peak numbers for sure.

Idk, seems like a centri car still pulls harder up top....also, the twin screw would probably fall off in power fast once it hit its peak where a centri car would hold power better up...my centri car was still climbing when I let off at 6400 rpms...the power just never stops increasing with a centri blower.

Im just thinking this comparison is kinda of dumb in general lol.
T
here is NO WAY IN HELL a twin screw could keep up with a turbo. Turbo cars make insane torque, even if the hp was similar.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All these people aon here that say Centri will pull harder on a highway only say that be cause they have no way of ever affording a twinscrew.

My Kenne Bell 2.1 Pulls WAY hard all the time.....and pulls even harder at top-end because i boost 11 PSI at 2,000RPMs but after 5,5000RPMs I get 12 PSI of boost.

This so coming from someone with actually boost experience.

Justin is stupid, The whole point of the twin screw is that there is No power loss or Boost loss through the whole RPM band. Max power all the time.

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
its simple, if they all made the same hp torque its all about where in the rpm range their power band is. In this case "racing on the highway" the centri blower and turbo have the edge with the turbo takin git down due to no parasitic loss to the blower. Roots/Twinscrew blowers are amazing for stop light to stop light cars you cannot beat the insta torque you get from them. Efficiency is what plays a large part in what ends up being best for your particular setup and were you want to make your power.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
wait hands boosts and hits 12 psi?! how the hell did I miss this memo?

Hands while your opinion on boost might be supported with your experience with all bs trash-talkin you do on others systems you opinion doesn't really matter much... its too hard to tell your bullshit, from your bullshit to see what is real.

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
It all depends on the (size of thes) compressor, the displacement of the motor, and its timing. Our 03 does just fine with the 5.0 stroker and a 3.4 Whipple. Our Tq is almost instant @ around 2600 and climbs slightly up to 7k.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree with Anchor Room, I think the volume of air the compressor is moving is just as important if not more so than how much boost. Even if peak HP numbers are the same the centrifugal might pull the KB on the highway because it makes its power higher in the RPM. However gearing could play a factor too because each time you shift the KB is going to have the advantage with it's power curve where as the centrifugal will have to begin building boost with the RPMs; and the faster you run the longer the gears get.

Justin's car is going to be different but with a manual car you don't spend most of the race near redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online