Car wont turnover...crankshaft position sensor issues????

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
When I go to start the car I can put the key in the on position and all accessories will be on just fine, radio works, lights on the inside work and everything. Then when I go to turn it over and everything just goes off and starts flickering until I turn the key off. I can hear the relay in the ccrm clicking when I try to start it as well. I havent had air in the car for a year now and I havent tried to investigate why but I wanted to check out how hard it would be to check the cps and noticed that my compressor has a leak of some sort, I was wondering if the oil has caused an issue with the cps or if there might be another issue with the car, hopefully not the pcm. Car is a 96 cobra and has 14k miles and is only driven when its decent out.

lutter94

Reaction score
Is your battery low? If it still does it jump starting it, you have a short somewhere, check the wires to your starter.

RichV

Reaction score
94? Maybe some deets would help.

A 94 does not have a crank sensor.

lutter94

Reaction score
There are zero sensors that will stop a starter from spinning. Purely an electrical connection issue (or battery voltage).

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
low battery voltage or dead cell, bad connection on pos lead on either end, bad starter..

I'm leaning toward the battery. take it out and have it load tested.

OP
OP

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
low battery voltage or dead cell, bad connection on pos lead on either end, bad starter..

I'm leaning toward the battery. take it out and have it load tested.
Had the battery and alt tested, both were like brand new. Which is why I kinda was leaning towards something with the starter or something deeper.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
remove the starter and have it tested.

Have you pulled codes? A crank sensor would throw a code.

OP
OP

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
Haven't pulled any codes yet. Will do that before I pull the starter, see where I stand from there.

lutter94

Reaction score
The starter not spinning is completely unrelated to any sensors that are on any portion of your engine.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have longtube headers? If so. The longtubes can eventually cook the starter due to the heat, if the starter was wrapped then shouldn't happen.

OP
OP

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
Do you have longtube headers? If so. The longtubes can eventually cook the starter due to the heat, if the starter was wrapped then shouldn't happen.
Car is bone stock just as if it was driven off the show room floor.

lutter94

Reaction score
Has it been tested? How many miles, if its stock, just go grab another for $80 at advance.....If you do it right you can get 20 bucks off 100 or more, online coupon code, pickup in store. Don't need a video to show that it won't spin. If you want another test, throw a multi meter on the smaller spade of the starter & ground, have someone else hit the key, see if you get 12V.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online