cd6 Install help

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
ok, so ive decided to install a CD6 into my sn95. yes, i know, there are other systems out there that are better than this, but IMO they look like @$$ in a mustang, i want to keep the inside looking as stock as possible. now, here is where my dilema comes into play:

the CD6 i have is out of a 2005 Explorer w/SAT. from what i gather, it has the "Phase 2" plugs (grey), and is the same radio that came in the 2004 Mustangs. 2001-2003 Mustangs came with a similar radio, a CD6, but these had the black "World Plugs" and did not have the SAT option. i went with the SAT option because i plan on using that later on.

anyways, here is where my issue comes into play. from my understanding, i can get Metra harnesses to plug into my stock radio harness, and a metra harness to plug into the CD6. the two metra harnesses can then be spliced in together to make an adapter, and tada! the CD6 SHOULD work. all except the bass.

it is my understanding that the newer ford radios, the "double din" design (2001+ mustangs, as well as aftermarket radios), are internally amplified and therefore, you cant send an amplified signal to the stock mach 460 amps (which i plan on keeping). so here is where my question comes in:

what can i do to keep the factory amps? i know the 2001+ mustangs that have the mach 460 option use the external amps as well, so i know its possible to use external amps with an internally amplified radio. i was looking into a "premium sound bypass" harness that metra sells as well, any one heard of this before? i dont exactly know how it works, ive been trying to get some info on it but have come up dry. if this sends an unamplified signal to the amps, then this is what i need, but considering some sites have it listed as a "Premium sound amplifier delete" harness, its not exactly what i want to do (delete the amps that is).

any input from you audio nuts out there is greatly appreciated. im ok with electrical, but am still a noob, so go easy on me. for now, if anyone can get me or tell me what each plug on the back of the stock mach460 radio is for (the one that has the seperate CD player on the bottom, 94-00 setup), that would be great.

thanks in advance,
xavier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dusky

Members online