Changing Radio for '03 Mustang V6

Jman2025

Reaction score
Currently in the process of upgrading the stock radio of my '03 Mustang V6 to a Jensen MPR2110. I also bought this Metra 70-1771 Receiver Wiring Harness to adapt the radio. But I'm having a dilemma on whether I need a Voltage amplifier/adapter of some kind for the output. I'm having a hard time finding much information on it.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to ruin equipment by not buying a proper voltage adapted (if that's what I need) and ruining equipment or sound.

Edit: The Radio also has the Illumination Orange Wire, but there's no where to connect it on the adapter. I'm trying to figure this out as well.

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You should be able to just connect to the factory wiring via the vehicle specific Metra adaptor for constant/switched power and it'll function just fine. This radio has an internal amplifier for sound output.

According to this, I don't see an illumination wire leaving the radio and I suspect it doesn't have a dim function. You may need to find a better optioned head unit offering that feature.

1671719348539.png

radio.png

weendoggy

Reaction score
I can't remember if the v6 had the premium or mach radio option?
I'm not sure either. My '02 GT does and I had to connect one wire of my Kenwood to power or control the stock amps. Had to call the Crutch on that but figured it out. Biggest issue is the exhaust is loader than the radio. :p

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not sure either. My '02 GT does and I had to connect one wire of my Kenwood to power or control the stock amps. Had to call the Crutch on that but figured it out. Biggest issue is the exhaust is loader than the radio. :p

I suffer from the same malady!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you have the mach system and it is still working it is easier to replace the deck and speakers and bypass the mach system. I use to help people work with it and you could actually make it sound pretty good but now years later the speakers are worn out and the amps are know to cause dead batteries.

Adfalenski

Reaction score

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
These are some bypass harnesses to look at:

Scosche FD15B Compatible with 1995-97 Ford Premium System Amp-Bypass Jumper harness; At amp location

Metra 70-5513 Radio Wiring Harness for Ford Amplifier Eliminator Plug

American International® FWH5 - Bypass Factory Amplifier Wiring Harness more details on - https://www.carid.com/american-international/bypass-factory-amplifier-wiring-harness-mpn-fwh5.html

Scosche FDK8B https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-4449-Scosche-FDK8B.html
all of those kits will bypass your amp, but you would still need to buy the standard ford power harness in addition to these to get power to the deck meaning you have to buy two harnesses. IF you get the 70-1770 harness it includes the power harness and still bypasses the amps. You will need to use the speaker wires that normally go to the tweeters for your signal at the speakers but you would have to do that with the 2 harness system that you were showing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online