Clay bar ?

voidfinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm new to the detailing thing and i would like to know what the clay bar thing is?

For one i spend on an average wash of the car it takes me like 6/7 hours and i take my sweet time and make sure it has like no spots on it...

Last time i got threw washing it "it was really durty" it has little scratches on the paint. What will take those off?

Paint is about 6 months old.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
clay bar is to remove stubborn surface contaminates, like overspray, tar, and super baked on bugs ect.

your car is getting swirl marks, it needs a polish job, then wax sealer over that.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
polish job? like a buff? already? its only been 6 months... Could you give me some good names of stuff? I would like to clean the paint up and then "polish" and then seal it so no more marks and it will stay nice for a long time :)

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
so that one in the link will probably do the job right? Also, will this take paint off? i hope not b/c i don't think the dude put that many coats on it.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
ok, so if i put the polish down first and then put the wax on top of that... all ii'll have to do ever 2 months or so is just add more wax? will i have to do the polish again? thanks dal.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NP Void. once it's polished, yes wax it.
you'll feel it when it wears off. it wont feel super slick any more. rewax :)
Typically it should last 3-4 months using a good product.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
NP Void. once it's polished, yes wax it.
you'll feel it when it wears off. it wont feel super slick any more. rewax :)
Typically it should last 3-4 months using a good product.

o ok, so the wax is the only thing that wears off? the polish stays good unless the wax comes off.... is that what your saying... please exuse me i'm kinda running slow today... long nights...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you keep it waxed, (and only use microfibers on it) you shouldn't need to polish it that often.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
if you keep it waxed, (and only use microfibers on it) you shouldn't need to polish it that often.

so microfiber as in what? like a microfiber wash mit or those smooth ass microfiber towel things.... i just don't see that getting a lot off lol.

wytstang

Reaction score
If you are using a regular sponge thats where the swirls are coming from. You need a wash mitt that gives dirt/grit a place to go. A sponge just moves dirt around and into the paint (not what you want). You can hit up wally world and see if you can find the softest Eurow sheep skin mitt (or Vroom brand from Target). Next would be a quality soap that has good lubrication, suds means nothing if there is no good lubrication to safely lift and remove dirt/grit. Also to remove the swirls a quality buffer is needed, heres a hint it's not the $20 buffers at wally world. You need a buffer that has enough power to break down the polish, other wise you are wasting time and money. If you plan on doing by hand Megs ScratchX would be a better choice (it's designed to be used by hand, still going to take some elbow grease). Target sells some good microfiber towels for a very resolvable price (premium ones), they are very gentle on the paint and help prolong swirls in the paint. They also remove wax/sealants/compound/polishes better then cotton or terry material.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
wytstang said:
If you are using a regular sponge thats where the swirls are coming from. You need a wash mitt that gives dirt/grit a place to go. A sponge just moves dirt around and into the paint (not what you want). You can hit up wally world and see if you can find the softest Eurow sheep skin mitt (or Vroom brand from Target). Next would be a quality soap that has good lubrication, suds means nothing if there is no good lubrication to safely lift and remove dirt/grit. Also to remove the swirls a quality buffer is needed, heres a hint it's not the $20 buffers at wally world. You need a buffer that has enough power to break down the polish, other wise you are wasting time and money. If you plan on doing by hand Megs ScratchX would be a better choice (it's designed to be used by hand, still going to take some elbow grease). Target sells some good microfiber towels for a very resolvable price (premium ones), they are very gentle on the paint and help prolong swirls in the paint. They also remove wax/sealants/compound/polishes better then cotton or terry material.

Ok well i went to wally world and saw the Eurow Sheepskin mit, not bad for like 5 bucks. I think i want to do it by hand since i don't want to eat the pant b/c there isn't much there and i know the cheaper hand units like at walmart wont eat paint so if they wont work i was looking at the megs scratchx and it didn't look that bad. Now the microfiber towels do what? is that what you use to wax the car? i'm confused on this part...

Also, i was looking in wally world some more and is the Meguiars Teck wax NXT any good or even the Gold Class? Also, i saw the Mothers Clay bar System there too. It had the 80 Gram Clay bar, 4 ounces of the cleaner wax, and 16 oz showtime detailer spay for like 15 bucks. What does the "cleaner wax" do exactly?

Thanks guys and sorry for the questions.

O and Dal, that poboys polish stuff can you do that with one of those cheap buffers that won't burn the paint off? Or no? thanks

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ya man, I burned up one of those cheap buffers before I got my PC.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
and whats that? the kinda buffer that burns paint lol.

Juztang

Reaction score
The Porter Cable polisher is a high speed orbital. It is almost impossible to burn the paint with it and that is what it is so popular. You can be a beginner and get excellent results.

If you ever decide you want to get a PC get ahold of me. I have discounts for members here. Just let me know!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online