Cleaning the MAF sensor

delling3

Reaction score
Doing some routine maintenance chores - including changing the air filter. Decided I would pull and clean the MAF sensor while in there. The studs that hold the sensor to the air cleaner cover are turning - I can't loosen the nuts. Looking at the other side, it appears that there is a cover held on with some small torx screws. I don't have the torx bit to remove the cover, and I am not sure that I would have access to the hot-wire resistors to clean them if I remove the cover. I am kinda stuck at the moment. Suggestions?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get some torx bits? You can get a cheap set at harbor freight for a couple of bucks and you will use them more then you know. I just had mine out to use the T27 bit on some header bolts.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
It's not buying the torx bits that's got me stalled. Just not sure that removing the cover is going to give me any improved access to what I am trying to clean.

Also, these torx screws appear to be a security screw - there is a center post in the torx socket, so I would need a special (?) bit.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
They make security torx bits. I bought mine at Sears. Harbor Freight by me didn't carry them.

Can you post pics? I'm having a hard time figuring out the cover you're talking about.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Tamper proof T20. I keep one in my glove box. Just like my wife's Fox has a spare TFI and the tool for that in hers. Lol.

Edit to add: Either just use the spray cleaner meant for the purpose, or VERY gently use a q tip to clean the wires wound around the porcelain. They are very thin and delicate. 1

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I bought a can of spray MAF cleaner. This sensor is different than most I have seen - almost reminds me of a pitot tube. I sprayed the elements down well and allowed to dry. After looking at it closer, I couldn't see any reason to take the cover off - the wire elements were accessible thru a hole. Didn't get a picture before I reinstalled, but fairly sure it was the OE MAF sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online