clever dash cam mounting

GT3FC

Reaction score
after doing some research I have decided to get the DVR 027 dash cam to install in my stang. now I would like to find a clever way to mount it. only problem is I cant off the top of my head think of a way to mount it where it is not a major eye sore hanging from the windshield. I thought about carving out a clockpod and sticking it in there but the only problem with that is the cam has a flip down screen that i would like to be able to utilize so the clockpod idea wont really work too well unless i mounted the cam upside down.... so if anyone has any ideas please help me out here

Heres a picture of the unit to give an idea of what I'm talking about:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would put it around it but mounting it to the mirror will just leave the mirror dangling or falling off. The screen I know is neat but its only really needed for playback IMO so I would just figure out a mount were it will be clean with it closed. I would probably try to make something coming off of the visor mounts myself as they are more sturdy.

I would probably just mount it upside down on the dash/clock pod myself with the screen to flip up. Again the screen is really just for playback and if its really important to get the video its easy enough to flip it 180 degrees in a number of programs.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I would put it around it but mounting it to the mirror will just leave the mirror dangling or falling off. The screen I know is neat but its only really needed for playback IMO so I would just figure out a mount were it will be clean with it closed. I would probably try to make something coming off of the visor mounts myself as they are more sturdy.

I would probably just mount it upside down on the dash/clock pod myself with the screen to flip up. Again the screen is really just for playback and if its really important to get the video its easy enough to flip it 180 degrees in a number of programs.
yea the only problem i see with that is having the camera low on the dash might not have a great field of view for the camera

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you might miss some stuff under your bumper and the wipers might cover some stuff up but it will be a mix of function/form to get the best view and not right in the middle of the windshield. There are a number of universal radar detector mounts with suction cups that could probably be made too work. That is the closest off the shelf Idea I have for you really otherwise it will be up to fabbing something up.

If you like it on/behind the mirror I could sell you the mirror off of my parts car. You could probably modify the mount/arm from it to go on the camera hopefully behind the stock mirror and then just glue the 2nd mirrors mount to the windshield. Willing to bet it could take the weight of the camera on its own if it didn't have the old glass/mount to hold as well.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
you might miss some stuff under your bumper and the wipers might cover some stuff up but it will be a mix of function/form to get the best view and not right in the middle of the windshield. There are a number of universal radar detector mounts with suction cups that could probably be made too work. That is the closest off the shelf Idea I have for you really otherwise it will be up to fabbing something up.

If you like it on/behind the mirror I could sell you the mirror off of my parts car. You could probably modify the mount/arm from it to go on the camera hopefully behind the stock mirror and then just glue the 2nd mirrors mount to the windshield. Willing to bet it could take the weight of the camera on its own if it didn't have the old glass/mount to hold as well.

thanks for the info man. Ill have to actually get the cam and see how it plays out with the whole clock pod idea because i would really like to have that idea work. i dont want to have an eye sore haning right in the middle of the windshield but ill keep updates posted on how it goes

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I modified my pod to house my radar detector mount but that was a lot smaller. I have to agree that flat on the dash would be an obstructed view through the wipers. I would look higher and hide it behind your mirror. When you get it take some pics of how it is supposed to mount and I am sure we can finger something out.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Well what I was saying by the mirror was to mount it to the windshield behind the mirror Scott. I absolutely agree that attaching it to the mirror is a terrible idea because it would bounce all around. He was just saying he wanted it to be as hidden as possible, so I was offering up the idea of mounting it to the windshield directly behind the mirror so it can't really be seen too much. Sorry should have been a little clearer with my response. I was tired Scott don't yell at me lol

Butch

Reaction score
y'all talking uh boot the side mirrors¿ =D

Sent from your moms breastesses

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I ordered it last night so we will see when it gets here. although it set the estimated delivery date like a month out so we will see

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
another option is you could install an overhead console from an explorer and hide it in there. I put one in so I could mount the display for my air ride in it and the actual mounting/fabbing isn't that bad. You could probably stash the camera in the very front of it maybe have the screen flip down as well. Only problem I see is the tint on the windshield if you have it. If there is tint you might be able to take it out, might not be able too. Would be ok in the day time but probably pretty dark at night.

Forgive that the back has not been finished yet as there is another component to mount there. It also gives you a nice place to put your garage door opener if you have one, or to stash something if you need too..

4612821392803266-c4d2a2d2d5.jpg

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
you know i was thinking that same thing but then I remembered I drive a convertible haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online