Clutch Shopping

oemracing

Reaction score
So I thought to upgrade the clutch in the cobra, because.... well I just feel like it.
What are some dual friction clutches for a good price and reliable?
I know centerforce is good, what you guys think about them?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a king cobra clutch in my car. But I am running pretty much stock numbers.

tankerman1981

Reaction score
i have the king cobra clutch out of an 04 Cobra and been holding together quite well sooo far

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i have a stock oe clutch and holds fine for me doesnt slip and has 120k on it still cuts 1.6's

OP
OP
O

oemracing

Reaction score
yeah I was thinking of getting a king cobra, just was looking at dual discs, and peoples thoughts on certain ones. The 96-00 had the 10.5, but you can upgrade to the 11. Which the 11 is in the termi's right?

94kingcbra

Reaction score
check out clutchmasters. Good quality clutch. What are you running that makes you want a dual friction clutch?

OP
OP
O

oemracing

Reaction score
nothing just thinking of the future for a stroker, and steen to hook up some navi heads.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
I had a Centerforce DF clutch is my first mustang.
The petal feel was great and somewhat like the stock petal feel.
It held the near stock horsepower I gave it just fine.
Centerforce clutches are very durable in my experience
and would get one again.
The Centerforce DF or DFX clutches will hold up great with the 4V engine.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I had a buddy last year who had a dfx on his 03 kb solid axle swap cobra and it didnt last more then 4 passes at the track kinda of funny, first pass all ok, second pass, sounds like he breaks loose shifting in to 2nd, third pass, on the launch you just see sparks fly from the bell housing mahahahahahha

01SportChic

Reaction score
hey! not sure if you found a clutch yet, I know this thread is a couple months old...

but I would highly recommend a Centerforce Dual Friction. That's what I have in my car, and it feels awesome. No hard petal or chattering like a Spec, and they are rated for up to I think 600hp. They grab REALLY nice too...I sometimes catch myself launching from a stop light without even trying LOL

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use an RPS clutch. i like it a lot, but they are on the pricy side. when i got that clutch i also got their aluminum flywheel.

tankerman1981

Reaction score
Have a King Cobra in mine right now but have a SPEC Stage 2+ sitting in my kitchen getting ready to get put in sooo we will see....

Pennywise2

Reaction score
01SportChic said:
No hard petal or chattering like a Spec
The Spec clutches are well known for the chattering issues even in reverse.The
Spec stage three clutches have absolutely no give it's grab and go.
I've seen more 10 spline input shafts broken from the Spec stage three
clutches than anything else.
Do a search on Spec clutches and research for yourself.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/710049-spec-stage-2-peddle-pressure.html
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/677309-breaking-new-spec-clutch-having-issues.html

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't know why people have such negative things to say about the Spec stg. 2 clutches, I cannot find one negative thing about mine.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
I don't know why people have such negative things to say about the Spec stg. 2 clutches, I cannot find one negative thing about mine.

you prolly broke yours in correctly for the right amount of time. i hear the specs take a lil longer than most to break in and most think highway miles are the same as city for clutch break in.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
96_SVT_Cobra said:
OnyxCobra said:

you prolly broke yours in correctly for the right amount of time. i hear the specs take a lil longer than most to break in and most think highway miles are the same as city for clutch break in.

of course, i didn't want to risk messing it up. 350-500 city miles is a crap load but apparently it pays off.

Pennywise2 said:

you can link all you want but it won't change my opinion because like i said i have zero complaints. I did everything right and the clutch is perfect, so people that say it wears out fast or it chatters or it is an off/on switch all must have done something incorrectly, because surely mine was made exactly the same as the others...

Pennywise2

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.