cobra engine education

OP
OP
P

Pedrothecobra

Reaction score
It’s definitely case by case and you want to get by with removing the LEAST amount of material possible. It would need torn down and measured before making a definitive statement like that.
yea that what i figured. im trying to hold off till fall but if it keeps burning oil im going to have to get into this sooner then later

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why not look for another engine? Either stock, or something someone has built already and had a few miles on.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Thats getting hard to find now a days
Best place to check used MPS
Or Prestige Mustang

Makoto

Reaction score
okay man, time for some hard talk. you need a beater. something to drive while the cobra is down.
get a plan together, count the cost, and if the cost is within your means then execute it.

your best bet is to reuse the engine you have and a good machine shop will be able to tell you if it needs to be bored or just honed.
a shitty one will tell you "lets bore it to be safe". nah bro, you're supposed to KNOW not GUESS.

this build will cost you 4K minimum if you do it right. find an old guy who doesn't drive or want to sell his car and offer him a grand for it. that's the best way to get a beater and stay the hell away from the "why nots" if you want to just get your car back on the road.

I put flat top pistons in my 99 rebuild and other than that its basically stock. sucker is fast as hell with power everywhere and i do not want to go boosted ever. those slugs were cheap from modmax racing. if you don't want to boost it ever then go with hypereutectic ones like I did. they're quieter and lighter but if a blower is in your future then obviously go that road while you're in there.

the point is you need to know what you want and have a plan before your car goes down or you'll never finish it.

BTW the power level my car is at is absolutely perfect for the street and its essentially just a bolt on 99 build mechanically. i know you may think you want 600hp but you said budget and those things are not compatible.

serious question: how many cars have you built and what is the highest hp sports car you've ever driven?

joe65

Reaction score
Just saw this and just went through putting a teksid shortblock together (with help). all the 96 cobras had a teksid. Unless someone swapped it out, but from your pic definitely a teksid like others said before. 2nd thing, also agree to not haveing it bored if not needed. If it does need to be bored make sure you ask if they torque plate the block when its bored. This means they put a plate on the block that basically works like a head when they bore it to keep things in alignment. The aluminum blocks flex. Another thing is you really can live with a stock crank. they take a lot of hp. Pistons are all over the place (lots of good ones out there), rings rods and bearings are really important. coyote rods are definitely a worthwhile option if you're not trying to hit the 1000 hp mark. Rau03mach and i just did some searching and found coyote rods for $35 a piece.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Cobrajeff pretty much summed it up. In short, budget and boosted dont belond in the same sentence unless you have the know how. Dont get me wrong here, i love car building too and ill encourage you till the end whatever route you decide, but the hard truth is forced induction is a total revamp of the car. If you have built other forced induced projects from the ground up, you could pull off a budget build. And we will all be here to help if you decide to go this route.

Now if you do go the route of building a budget engine for forced induction, buy the force induction system, buy all thats necessary for fuel upgrades, and then tune the car

If you decide to stay naturally aspirated and maybe later add boost, you could build the engine slightly upgraded over what stock is and it should be able to handle a few hundred horsepower more or just swap in a coyote package.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Another thing I notice is some of these came with original windage tray that bolted to the cap bolts and is tucked inside oil pan
This is one that I will have to add and dose not tuck inside oil pan it has a lip to bolt in place
The guy probably lost or it did not come with it

1645652853692992874443903739271.jpg16456528764018948146537585634880.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Just saw this and just went through putting a teksid shortblock together (with help). all the 96 cobras had a teksid. Unless someone swapped it out, but from your pic definitely a teksid like others said before. 2nd thing, also agree to not haveing it bored if not needed. If it does need to be bored make sure you ask if they torque plate the block when its bored. This means they put a plate on the block that basically works like a head when they bore it to keep things in alignment. The aluminum blocks flex. Another thing is you really can live with a stock crank. they take a lot of hp. Pistons are all over the place (lots of good ones out there), rings rods and bearings are really important. coyote rods are definitely a worthwhile option if you're not trying to hit the 1000 hp mark. Rau03mach and i just did some searching and found coyote rods for $35 a piece.
already ordered the rods , i had my crank polished today standard , and i got the heads back today
so everything is moving along

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online