Cobra

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
Looking into a 96-98 cobra. I always hear the 98 put down the most power of the 3 years. Is there any truth to this? Any difference in the block, crank, rods anything? Any common problems to lookout for? Thanks guys!

switch96

Reaction score
No significant mechanical differences that I'm aware of. These engines were all hand built; I've seen them put down 250hp stock and 280hp stock. I've never heard of one year being particularly stronger, though. I don't recall any major TSB's other than in '96 for cooling insufficiencies. I replaced my radiator with a '97 and the problem was solved.

I believe they did away with the clock pod in '98. They also upgraded the wheels and added cupholders that year. I've also heard (not confirmed) that '98s did not have strut tower braces. These are the only differences that I can think of.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
RideThePONYgt said:
Looking into a 96-98 cobra. I always hear the 98 put down the most power of the 3 years. Is there any truth to this? Any difference in the block, crank, rods anything? Any common problems to lookout for? Thanks guys!

get a 1997. no wack as* fuel system from the 1998 and no funny radiator (if they are different) from the 1996.

SVTurbo 98

Reaction score
The cooling problem from the 96 cobra's was because the a/c condenser fins were too dense and it wouldn't let enough air get to the radiator. They were recalled by ford and the issue was fixed for the 97 cobra...

reduceallpain

Reaction score
Well I have a 96 cobra with a 98 motor with light bolt ons and put down 285 hp compared to a local guys completely stock 96 cobra besides a catback to 267hp on the ssame dyno.... I dont know......

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
oh yea.. orange ones are the best..

Yes 98s have strengthened firewalls so they could get rid of the STB. But ide still put one on anyway.

Also, isnt it. 97-98 had romeo blocks and the 96s had teskids(minus early 97)

might be a tad off, but something like that

switch96

Reaction score
Some '01s had Windsor Aluminum Plant blocks instead of the Teksid, but I've always been under the impression that all 4v SNs were Teksids.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
RideThePONYgt said:
is one stronger? lol

its debateable...

but the teskid is rated for some 1000+ hp and sheds a few pounds off the front end.... i have one sitting in my garage ;-)

OP
OP
R

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
RideThePONYgt said:
is one stronger? lol

its debateable...

but the teskid is rated for some 1000+ hp and sheds a few pounds off the front end.... i have one sitting in my garage ;-)

Luckyyyyyyy. Can someone explain the different fuel system in the 98?

RockstarMentality

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
I have one sitting under my hood ;-)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
RideThePONYgt said:
MustangChris said:
RideThePONYgt said:
is one stronger? lol

its debateable...

Luckyyyyyyy. Can someone explain the different fuel system in the 98?
the 1998.5 they started switching over to returnless fuel system in anticipation for the new computers, engine designs, and power outputs of the 1999-2004 mustangs. In mustangs before 1998.5 there was a fuel line to send fuel to the engine,a nd one to bring the excess, unused fuel, back to the tank.

in daily driver, not awesome, cars the returnless style fuel system has its benifits. The most notable being the fact that the hot fuel that just went up to the engine compartment is not being dumped back into the tank.

BUT in awesome-o bad-ass-ness cars like mustangs, the fuel system becomes unreliabile at higher power. plus, you know what tehy say: "Never buy it when its the first year in production"

RockstarMentality said:
MustangChris said:
I have one sitting under my hood ;-)

pfff. loser... they make much better paper weights. :p

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Teksids are TEKSIDS, however there is noticible differences between the early and late builds of them the 94's our of a mark viii and a block out of a 99 cobra will have visual differences. They are not bad, just difference. There are some quirks with them, and to work on one is a bit of a challange due to the relitivly picky nature of the blocks.

The fuel system yes as chris said one is return one is returnless, however the debate of "hot fuel" coming back to the tank not being awesome, its prefectly fine. Unless you need the fuel at a specific temp to avoid detonation, your going to be fine.

Good luck with the 4v search.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
i might be a little off in my dates.. but after 96 or mid 97 they stopped using the teskid blocks.. or at least they werent made in the ferrari plant anymore.. god why can i not remember my crap.. DAMNIT

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Shifty Powers said:
i might be a little off in my dates.. but after 96 or mid 97 they stopped using the teskid blocks.. or at least they werent made in the ferrari plant anymore.. god why can i not remember my crap.. DAMNIT

dont beleive they were made IN the ferrari plant. If i recall correctly, they were made from the same allotment of aluminum that ferrari was using at the time, and they were cast by the same manufacturer ferrari was using at the time.... BUT, I honestly could be 100% off as well. when speaking of tesckieds, i regurgitate best i can 100% data recieved from online forums.... no hard facts, no research, just what ThunderThighs98 said on SVTP...... . . i have no desire to know the ins-and-outs of teh tskedids, so im not going to research them on my own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online