Coil pack to COP conversion. is it worth it?

Overboost

Reaction score
like the title says, they have an adaptor harness that will swap right over.
is it worth the cash and effort outside of I can now have pretty blue valve covers and no wires everywhere?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you are going to skimp on coil quality, no...not worth it. Factory coils are king and not cheap. Sort of the same with 96-98 coil pack and plug wires

Another idea is to use chevy LS1 coils with short plug wires. A few have done this with great success.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you are going to skimp on coil quality, no...not worth it. Factory coils are king and not cheap. Sort of the same with 96-98 coil pack and plug wires

Another idea is to use chevy LS1 coils with short plug wires. A few have done this with great success.

D585 coils are said to be king in that arena

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

PinkieT

Reaction score
Never thought of locating my two coil packs to the back of the motor. I like the idea! Think I'll give it a shot when I have the intake and heads off for a PI swap.

OP
OP
Overboost

Overboost

Reaction score
well, being I have the cobra, and rev to 6800 on a consistent basis, they are saying with the coil pack confuser, it is best to use the coil pack. some are saying it works great up to 7400 r's and some are saying nay.
I was just looking at replacing my wires, being they are factory blue with 1998 dates on them and was thinking about changing over to the COP system simply to get some nice valve covers. they have some really cool blue ones that I cannot use.
so perhaps I will just do some wires and plugs and call it a day, I don't want the wires looking like a bird nest under the hood as many replacements seem to do. I was wanting to keep it nice and neat.
I am going to do the brakes this spring as they don't seem to stop too good, needs a lot of firm pedal pressure to get it to whoa...

OP
OP
Overboost

Overboost

Reaction score

I already found out cheap parts = bad idea in this category. I had an 03 F150 with a turbocharger and it had 2 autozone special coils on it...
couldn't figure out why the thing was running like garbage, they was like new. when I pulled them, they was some crap made in a slave shop somewhere in Sri Lanka or somewhere. I paid $75 at advance auto because I needed it running that day. ordered some spares from flea bay for $40 each

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you want nice looking wires you will probably have to make your own. They make kits that has the dist end on it so you hook it up, cut to length and then crimp the end on it. Between the crimpers and the cables it will cost more but I know that messy wires and cables will drive me nuts every day after the install when I see them.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Really?

Now im confused.....why will they not work?
The ford cop’s are dumb coils and the LS are smart coils. Smart coils have the transistors built in to them and need just a triggered ground to fire them. Our coils do not have transistors built in (that’s in our ecu). If you put an aftermarket ecu with ford coils you have to wire in the transistors in the circuit to make the coils work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online