Cold air intake system

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all I'm now looking at a cold air intake system for my 2001 2v V8 mustang. What is the best one out there?
I will be getting the car tuned after the air intake system has been fitted
Many thanks
Adam

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi ttocs
The mustang has :-
long tube headers
Pro chamber mac flow exhaust
De catted
4.10 gears
Aluminium prop shaft
Running a diablosport 91 octane tune

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I looked at a bunch before choosing the BBK CAI. Most have the air filter in the engine compartment. Even with a shield it is not sealed off from pulling hot air into the engine. The BBK unit put the filter outside the engine compartment. Its a bit of a hassle to install but the benefit of a unit pulling air from outside the vehicle was worth it.

Jake

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
OK, so the type of cold air intake system I'm going with is one that has the filter in the wing and has blanking plate so only fresh cold air can enter. Next on the list I was looking at throttle body Spacers but there is such a mixed review on them I may just leave them alone so that only leaves the throttle body. So there a noticeable gain in power with a large 70mm throttle body over the stock 65mm one? Also I believe the 75,78mm bodies are to large for a N/A engine is this correct?

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I have never really done any back to back tests. I have a basically stock PI engine in my 98. It is using the BBK 1780 which is a 78mm with a BBK 8014 #24 MAF. The dyno tuner I used said everything was right on the money and it tuned perfectly. That was 3 years ago.

Jake

07GtS197

Reaction score
I have a 75mm tb on my 02 gt and noticed an increase in power from the butt dyno, though I dont have anything to back that up. Also its been said that cai’s are useless on these cars. Im running the stock intake with the snorkel removed. It was free lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Cold are intakes useless on these cars?
What do you mean by "snorkel removed"?

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by the snorkel comment as well. I think the factory air cleaner could be considered better than a CAI that leaves the air filter or air intake in the engine compartment. But if you can isolate the air intake from the engine compartment air then you are going to make an improvement over both.

Jake

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there use to be a plastic/rubber piece that was inside the fender called an air cleaner if I am not mistaken. For a long time it was rumored that removing them gave you a few hp but again this is all by people just saying so. There is not a huge performance difference between the cheap and expensive models other then the polish/plate and filter is a little better on the higher $$$ versions.

PinkieT

Reaction score
There is a school of thought that the aftermarket CAIs, being metal, absorb heat from the engine compartment so the advantage of pulling cold air out of the fenderwell is lost by absorbing heat from the metal tubing. The factory intake puts the filter in the fenderwell and gets cold air but is plastic so the air doesn't pick up much extra heat from the intake tubing. I have a chrome BBK CAI, and my wife's car has a cheap-o American Muscle version. They look similar.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yeah there is a rubber piece that goes into the fenderwell on the stock intake. Thats what Im referring to.

I personally dont think the air is in the cai for long enough to radiate heat from the metal tubing but I dont think they do much. I cant elaborate now but I could later if you want to hear me babble lol.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I'm starting to think is there actually any point in changing the stock intake?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
right now at your point there is not a huge gain to be had. But swap heads/cam and suddenly its the choke point. Most of us started with a CAI and then progressed on to more expensive mods that will get more use out of a better intake.

PinkieT

Reaction score
One reason to put a CAI on any engine - it looks bitchin'!

95opal

Reaction score
Colder air is always a gain.
You can grab some pvc and fab your own for pennies. You can also just buy tubing and fab your own.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I understand the principle that cooler, denser air from the fender creates more power, however, on a tiny 4.6 v8 the effect isnt that big. Perhaps there are dyno results and in depth info of the subject but until someone can prove there is a big enough temp difference and measurable, repeatable gains can be made, I dont buy it.

Also, like said above, there are other things that create a bigger bottleneck than the intake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001