Compression numbers?

molder3

Reaction score
Hey guys i found a used motor to put in my car, it has 58k miles on it and the guy said the comp #s were 148-151 with the throttle closed. Are those #s normal or are they a bit low?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
umm sound kind of low honestly but they are all really close together. you want numbers that are grouped together. if you have like 7 cylinders showing 180 and the 8th showing 150, you got some problems lol.

but even that being said, it seems like 148 is a bit low to me? ive rebuilt my cobra's motor with fully forged interansl by myself but I am still not positive of what a "low" compression number is so maybe someone with some more expertise could chime in for you.

OP
OP
M

molder3

Reaction score
Ya thats what I told him is the numbers seemed kinda low, but he told me the numbers closed throttle are always lower. So idk. I just wish i had a place to do my own work, then i'd just rebuild my motor, way to expensive to have someone else do it.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Teksids are pretty pickey sO just BECAREFUL check, double check, tripple check, spec's tolerances, and remember aluminum will distort/expand MORE then an iron block

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
you can get a block prepped warm, cool it down and it will still be different then last spec'd. remember that.