Confusion

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NDplayer said:
So yeah, if anyone has a 96 mustang everything you have heard about a PI intake swap is a falacy. We have some kind of pipe sticking out of our engine block right behing the water pump that inhibits the use of the 99 up coolant hose. So what that means is that you have to fabricate your own solution. Aka cut the little pipe use other forms of tubbing and be on your way. Well just thought I would share as apparently no one else has ever encountered this problem. It is a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you talking about the coolant pipe and nipple that connects to the water pump? You have to remove the water pump and bang out the nipple and remove the old pipe. Replace with the PI version as well as the PI nipple that attaches to the rear of the pump....this has been covered many times.

97vertstang

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
NDplayer said:
So yeah, if anyone has a 96 mustang everything you have heard about a PI intake swap is a falacy. We have some kind of pipe sticking out of our engine block right behing the water pump that inhibits the use of the 99 up coolant hose. So what that means is that you have to fabricate your own solution. Aka cut the little pipe use other forms of tubbing and be on your way. Well just thought I would share as apparently no one else has ever encountered this problem. It is a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you talking about the coolant pipe and nipple that connects to the water pump? You have to remove the water pump and bang out the nipple and remove the old pipe. Replace with the PI version as well as the PI nipple that attaches to the rear of the pump....this has been covered many times.
can u buy a pi water pump to make it easier??? :dunno: just a thought :dunno:

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
Ah we just worked around it and I put in a high heat silicon tube, it is working perfectly so fare, actually maybe better the car is running really cool. I never did get the cams in kind off upset about that, I just ran out of time. So hopefully that will happen soon but next time I do a job like this I am going to deffinatly wait till I have a real garage with real tools instead of the BS setup I had this time. But in the end car is deffinatly a little faster which is nice. Also I saw this;

When swapping PI cams, I recommend that you purchase 2001 + cams. These cams are Romeo cams (manufactured in the Romeo plant) and they have bolt on sprockets. Since the sprockets can be unbolted, you can use the Anderson tool to swap the cams. This makes the job a snap since all you have to do is take off the valve covers, cam covers, use the tool to hold the timing chain in place and then swap cams. Conversely, to do the entire PI head swap, you will have to either pull the entire motor, or tear it down in place to remove the heads.

Does this mean you can swap cams without pulling the front cover off the engine?? That doesn't seem right but judging by how well my last attempt at engine work went I realize I apparently don't know to much yet....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NDplayer said:
Ah we just worked around it and I put in a high heat silicon tube, it is working perfectly so fare, actually maybe better the car is running really cool. I never did get the cams in kind off upset about that, I just ran out of time. So hopefully that will happen soon but next time I do a job like this I am going to deffinatly wait till I have a real garage with real tools instead of the BS setup I had this time. But in the end car is deffinatly a little faster which is nice. Also I saw this;

When swapping PI cams, I recommend that you purchase 2001 + cams. These cams are Romeo cams (manufactured in the Romeo plant) and they have bolt on sprockets. Since the sprockets can be unbolted, you can use the Anderson tool to swap the cams. This makes the job a snap since all you have to do is take off the valve covers, cam covers, use the tool to hold the timing chain in place and then swap cams. Conversely, to do the entire PI head swap, you will have to either pull the entire motor, or tear it down in place to remove the heads.

Does this mean you can swap cams without pulling the front cover off the engine?? That doesn't seem right but judging by how well my last attempt at engine work went I realize I apparently don't know to much yet....
yes if you use the cam swap tool and be really careful it can be done that way. I only suggest doing this with the stock PI cams though as aftermarket cams should be degreed in...A guy on Stangnet did it with his dad and i think he said it took about 2 hours total.

OP
OP
N

NDplayer

Reaction score
Hey where was that post I looked everywhere for it???? And do you have any idea where I could get that tool?? Thanks..............

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NDplayer said:
Hey where was that post I looked everywhere for it???? And do you have any idea where I could get that tool?? Thanks..............
Anderson Ford Motorsport..they have a website you can buy it from

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online