Corbeau FX1’s installed, but…

Cochise

Reaction score
So after ordering and returning 4 different seats. I have finally gotten the right ones for me.

The Corbeau FX1’s.

Huge shout out to Corbeau and their patience. It literally went like this RRB -> RRX -> FX1 wide -> FX1.

Yes, h had to pay for return shipping. But they were super nice about everything.

Now my question is… is there and way to move it back just 1-2”?!

I tried the track extendenders but it doesn’t feel right. I’m using the Corbeau double locking seat tracks.

It would honestly be so perfect if the seat was just one inch lower and 1.5 inches back. My helmet touches the headliner if I lean it left. And a tad more leg room would be amazing. (I’m 6’3)

Any recommendations?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what do you mean that the extenders did not feel right? They are the only way to move them back that I know of.

OP
OP
C

Cochise

Reaction score
what do you mean that the extenders did not feel right? They are the only way to move them back that I know of.
They slightly raise the seat, which is already an issue, and the way they angle the seat back is slightly unckmfortavke for track use. I do have long arms but for proper track positioning it’s not feasible.

I might just need to have custom fixed seat brackets made. I’ll be the only one driving it so I’m ok with the lack of on-the-fly adjustability.

I was hoping there might be someone out there who might have a trick for me.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
So after ordering and returning 4 different seats. I have finally gotten the right ones for me.

The Corbeau FX1’s.

Huge shout out to Corbeau and their patience. It literally went like this RRB -> RRX -> FX1 wide -> FX1.

Yes, h had to pay for return shipping. But they were super nice about everything.

Now my question is… is there and way to move it back just 1-2”?!

I tried the track extendenders but it doesn’t feel right. I’m using the Corbeau double locking seat tracks.

It would honestly be so perfect if the seat was just one inch lower and 1.5 inches back. My helmet touches the headliner if I lean it left. And a tad more leg room would be amazing. (I’m 6’3)

Any recommendations?
I am 6'2". I installed the Corbeau Forza non reclining seats. With the lower seat pad left out, I easily cleared the rollbar in my Cobra when the helmet was on. And I could still slide the passenger seat far enough forward for my daughter and friends did get in back (when the rear seat was in)

JDMac34

Reaction score
I just went through this. Luckily Summit Racing is pretty close to me so I was able to try what seats they had in stock.

I ended up going with a set of Corbeau RRS seats with their sliding brackets and love them. They sat a hair lower than my stock leather power seats and maybe 1.5" more forward. I'm 6'3" and 240lbs so I needed to change the brackets for sure. I ended up making these extensions which moved the whole bracket 2" back without raising the seat at all. The new driving position is now more comfortable for me. I'd highly recommend it!

CAD model of the extended seat bracket:
Extended seat brackets.PNG

Driver's seat in the car:
IMG_5718.jpg

badass98svt

Reaction score
I just went through this. Luckily Summit Racing is pretty close to me so I was able to try what seats they had in stock.

I ended up going with a set of Corbeau RRS seats with their sliding brackets and love them. They sat a hair lower than my stock leather power seats and maybe 1.5" more forward. I'm 6'3" and 240lbs so I needed to change the brackets for sure. I ended up making these extensions which moved the whole bracket 2" back without raising the seat at all. The new driving position is now more comfortable for me. I'd highly recommend it!

CAD model of the extended seat bracket:
View attachment 16619

Driver's seat in the car:
View attachment 16620

Those 2 front brackets dont seem to have much holding them to the frame. Is that going to hold up in an accident?
If you're gonna weld anyway, why not just cut off the old brackets and weld in new ones.

Last edited:

JDMac34

Reaction score
You could cut off the old mounting locations and weld on new ones, but I wanted to keep the original ones and follow their geometry. These brackets were TIG welded by our professional welder. I don't see any issue with these extensions.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
even with good welding making them longer I would think would reduce the strength a bit. Think of the worst case scenario of you landing on your lid and your 240 lbs now being multiplied by the impact(worst case thinking) and I could see them bending, maybe breaking. I would have tried to either make some gussets on the side to support them or thicker material.

JDMac34

Reaction score
I ran FEA on the brackets before and after. There was not a significant change in the resulting stresses when comparing the original mounting location to the new one. The original front tabs are still pressing down on the hump in the floor and the slots in the bracket mean that the bracket would have to deform more than 1/2" forward or backward before the tabs contact the stud and are put in tension or compression. Yes, gussets could help as long as they don't create a large stress concentration on the top bend. I appreciate the concern for safety!

Returning back to the purpose of this thread: I'd recommend you take the brackets to a shop and have them modified in some way. The 2 extra inches made it much better...giggidy.

Last edited:

Makoto

Reaction score
that looks great. i modified my brackets to perfectly center the steering wheel and gauges which moved the seat slightly inward.
i'm 6'2" and my knees were always too close to the dash for comfort. I modified the pedals, extended the steering column, did the seat thing and now all the controls are right where i want them.

i've considered making a remote shifter assembly to put that thing at a more comfortable place as well.