Corrosion on Positive battery terminal

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recurring problem of corrosion in the “+” side of the battery terminal. I take it off, clean it, spray on a little battery terminal stuff,reattach… and yet it returns!
Any ideas on a solution? Replace the cable? Don’t use the spray? Or ???
Thanks everyone!image.jpg

joemomma

Reaction score
I've seen this before and wish I could offer you some help, but I don't have the answer. I had a riding mower that did this repeatedly, and I think I fixed it when I replaced the cable, but wouldn't swear to it. I'd like to know what the fix is though!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Eventually you’ll have to replace the terminal once it eats through the metal. My guess would be that it’s leaking.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure if its leaking or what. I would go back to where you got the battery and ask them. You might try some of those felt pads that go under the terminal.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, thanks everyone. I’ll head over to NAPA this week.

tinnocker

Reaction score
Working at my father's truck stop in the sixties I saw trucks use black axle grease on both of their post. I have seen petroleum jelly used also. It seems to work.....but not at car shows!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll give the petroleum jelly a shot if the “battery spray “ I have doesn’t do the trick!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, sounds good. I’ll be back in town late this afternoon and running around all day tomorrow. Is Saturday ok? Or Sunday afternoon around 2 or 3??

Procharged87

Reaction score
It’s been a while but I remember someone saying that corrosion on the positive means that the battery is likely being overcharged and corrosion on the negative usually means the battery is sulfated. It has been my experience that a good charger like a Noco can take care of the sulfation but, every time I’ve had it on the positive terminal it keeps coming back until it eventually eats the terminal. It seems to be a precursor sign that the battery will need replacement at some point as the alternator is overcharging it. Normally we get 2-6 months out of a battery at that point before it completely dies but, in recent years I’ve just started replacing them.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been a while but I remember someone saying that corrosion on the positive means that the battery is likely being overcharged and corrosion on the negative usually means the battery is sulfated. It has been my experience that a good charger like a Noco can take care of the sulfation but, every time I’ve had it on the positive terminal it keeps coming back until it eventually eats the terminal. It seems to be a precursor sign that the battery will need replacement at some point as the alternator is overcharging it. Normally we get 2-6 months out of a battery at that point before it completely dies but, in recent years I’ve just started replacing them.
2-6 MONTHS?? I hope you meant years!

Procharged87

Reaction score
2-6 MONTHS?? I hope you meant years!
I mean the batteries usually last 2-6 months from when it started corroding the terminal. Based on the sticker on the battery, it looks like it was sold around Jun of 2018 so, if it’s about 3 years old it would be in the range for this kind of issue as the cells start to lose their ability to hold a charge over time and that’s when you start seeing issues like this. I used to clean the terminals really good and apply new spray or felt washers and drive for as long as I could squeeze life out of the battery but now I replace them usually after a month or two when I see that the corrosion is persistent.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Makes absolute sense now. After I get the gauge cluster back, I’ll head over to NAPA and see about a replacement.
Thank you SO much for the info. Most helpful!!

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Why not head to Ford and by a battery at the dealer. Just bought the top of the range Motorcraft at Simi Ford for 167.00 for the Explorer. The Motorcraft battery in the black car is 7 years old and still working.

Jake

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why not head to Ford and by a battery at the dealer. Just bought the top of the range Motorcraft at Simi Ford for 167.00 for the Explorer. The Motorcraft battery in the black car is 7 years old and still working.

Jake
Ooh, just might do that, Jake. I hadn’t considered it because traditionally, dealerships are quite a bit more expensive. But, knowing this now, I’ll give them a call! Thanks!

Jakespeeds

Reaction score
Yup. I have seen some behind the scenes proof for GM at their stress test facility when I was involved with those programs. It seemed to be proved what people in the industry preach. OEM's have to make or can only accept parts to a higher tolerance than the aftermarket industry. I would not say this is 100 percent. But I think I have seen it with batteries, wiper blades, brakes & brake parts and such.

Just have to pick and choose what you are comfortable with.

Jake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online