found a crown vic 4.6 with auto tranny - about 56544 miles. this is it:

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor4.jpg

motor5.jpg

motor6.jpg

motor7.jpg

what do you think? it'll fit in my car? what is all needed?

wiring harness, ecu, intake manifold, what else?

my car is a 1998 3.8 with auto tranny.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Vermilion said:

he doesnt need a k-member. all 96-04 k-members are the same between engines. he would need the motor mounts still though.

94-95 is one group. all 94-95 factory V6, GT, and Cobra k-members are the same
96-04 is the other group. all 96-04 factory V6, GT, and Cobra k-members are the same

OP
OP
CruizinKev

CruizinKev

Reaction score
so I need the engine, mustang GT plenum, GT motor mounts, GT wiring + computer, GT dash cluster, 8.8 rear? What about my stock 98 auto transmission? Also will fit?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
CruizinKev said:
so I need the engine, mustang GT plenum, GT motor mounts, GT wiring + computer, GT dash cluster, 8.8 rear? What about my stock 98 auto transmission? Also will fit?

like i said on 3.8, your autp tranny is specific to the 3.8 and 5.0 bolt pattern. you would need a 4.6 transmission

NERD

Reaction score
You'll also need to turn off the pats or have a new key made with the correct pats code.

OP
OP
CruizinKev

CruizinKev

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
CruizinKev said:

like i said on 3.8, your autp tranny is specific to the 3.8 and 5.0 bolt pattern. you would need a 4.6 transmission
really? I thought the 1998 3.8 got a 4rw70? the 4rw70 is the same like the 4.6 have?

Untame-d

Reaction score
4R75W is concidered for the Mustang V8, I'm not sure when that was changed though. T45 is what the GT's have for stick. I think that's what you should go with + clutch. If your up to for a little more work. :thumbsup:

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
CruizinKev said:
atlanticblue98 said:
CruizinKev said:

really? I thought the 1998 3.8 got a 4rw70? the 4rw70 is the same like the 4.6 have?

they are the same basic transmission, but the bellhoushing bolts are different for V8's

it is the same principle as to why you cant use a M90 made for a Pontiac Grand Prix on a V6 mustang. same general design, but they have special characteristics

OP
OP
CruizinKev

CruizinKev

Reaction score
okay I see. anybody knows what auto transmission the 2000 crown vics had? I can get the engine with that but don't know what it is.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
I have some bad news. It will save you a lot of time and money. That is a romeo NPI engine. It is the same engine the 96-98 stangs had in them except for the cams, so they are even more anemic. Crown Vic's didn't get PI engines until late 2001. If you remember, the 9-00 mustangs had windsor PI engines in them.
If you are still hellbent on putting that engine in your car, then you could probably use a computer and harness out of a 01 mustang and it would work pretty well at controlling that trans and the engine.

OP
OP
CruizinKev

CruizinKev

Reaction score
yeah I know its a NPI - but I see a PI swap in the future ;) I'd get that engine and do the PI swap before the motor gets in the car ;)

Untame-d

Reaction score
It would probly save you money in the long run if you shopped for a PI motor right now. Unless your paying peanuts for that Vic motor.

OP
OP
CruizinKev

CruizinKev

Reaction score
remember I'm in Germany.. its kinda rare to find anything like that over here.. I easily could mod the v6 right now for good power but I want the v8 rumbling sound :headbang: ...I'd even be happy with stock NPI 4.6 power

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd order up a H/C/I swap from one of the 6banger performance shops before i went through all the hassle of installing a NPI Vic motor in my 3.8 car.

It will probably be faster with a V6 cam, ported heads and intake then the stock NPI would be.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
that's what I meant, hold out and get an engine with PI heads on it already. I do understand what you are going through being deployed myself, and I imagine they have a hobby shop on base as well with all the tools and such. I would just research it a little more, and it really depends on if this is a deal or not. If the engine and trans are less than 500 bucks, I would say go for it, and then get your PI heads shipped to you. give you something to do when you aren't on duty. We don't have that here, with 7 12 hour days and incoming, there isn't much time for wrenching, and besides, there isn't anything here besides goats and MRAPs

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I'd order up a H/C/I swap from one of the 6banger performance shops before i went through all the hassle of installing a NPI Vic motor in my 3.8 car.

It will probably be faster with a V6 cam, ported heads and intake then the stock NPI would be.

x2 it would

NXcoupe said:
that's what I meant, hold out and get an engine with PI heads on it already. I do understand what you are going through being deployed myself, and I imagine they have a hobby shop on base as well with all the tools and such. I would just research it a little more, and it really depends on if this is a deal or not. If the engine and trans are less than 500 bucks, I would say go for it, and then get your PI heads shipped to you. give you something to do when you aren't on duty. We don't have that here, with 7 12 hour days and incoming, there isn't much time for wrenching, and besides, there isn't anything here besides goats and MRAPs

he isnt deployed, he lives there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online