Cutting out in boost...maybe detonation?

okiemike

Reaction score
I need some help... I have a 95' 5.0 with a vortech v2 6-7lb boost, FMU, vortech BTM, trex fuel pump, stock 19lb injectors. It seems when going into boost, at or around 3500-3700 rpm range i start getting a little cut out... possibly detonation?
I am not sure, i have my initial timing set at 5* with spout removed.
I have my BTM set at about 1-3/4.

Addermk2

Reaction score
ditch the 19# injectors and the FMU
buy a new maf, 42# fuel injectors... and go get a tune.

OP
OP
O

okiemike

Reaction score
ditch the 19# injectors and the FMU
buy a new maf, 42# fuel injectors... and go get a tune.
I'd like to and maybe soon
I bumped my timing down to 4* and still seems to do it... Where would a safe number be? could it be all in timing?

kb1982

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is 1 degree for every pound of boost. If you have a btm box, you shouldnt need to set your base timing lower than stock. Detonation isnt what is causing the cutting out. Sounds like its a spark issue. Check the plugs, and make sure you have the gap closed up some. Im running .030 for 16 pounds of boost. Also check the condition of your plug wires, cap and rotor.

Racsirx

Reaction score
I don't know your whole setup but those 19lb injectors scare me, but I would check to see if your BTM is having problems, take it out of the system, run the stock setup and lock timing at 18 degrees and if the problem goes away then it's your BTM

OP
OP
O

okiemike

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is 1 degree for every pound of boost. If you have a btm box, you shouldnt need to set your base timing lower than stock. Detonation isnt what is causing the cutting out. Sounds like its a spark issue. Check the plugs, and make sure you have the gap closed up some. Im running .030 for 16 pounds of boost. Also check the condition of your plug wires, cap and rotor.
thanks for the help!
I was told by the shop here local to me (able racing) to go back to 10 degrees, and set btm at 1.

i think it wouldnt hurt to throw in another set of plugs, ans set gap, is .030-.032 good?
I don't know your whole setup but those 19lb injectors scare me, but I would check to see if your BTM is having problems, take it out of the system, run the stock setup and lock timing at 18 degrees and if the problem goes away then it's your BTM
ok, thanks!
Just unplug and plug back into factory? not sure how to do that?

kb1982

Reaction score
You can start at .30 for plug gap if you want. If that clears up the problem, increase the gap until it starts again and close it up. More gap is better, but less gap keeps the spark from being blown out. If your btm box is connected using the msd wiring harness, it simply unplugs and that connector plugs into the coil. Remember, red or orange is always positive and will hook to the positive side of the coil. If it is just wired in, the wire that is hooked to the red wire of the btm harness goes to the positive side of the coil, and the wired hooked to the white wire of the btm box goes to the negative side of the coil. The coil will have a + and - on it. The btm box just intercepts the signal that discharges the coil and alters the spark advance, and then sends it back out to the coil.

OP
OP
O

okiemike

Reaction score
You can start at .30 for plug gap if you want. If that clears up the problem, increase the gap until it starts again and close it up. More gap is better, but less gap keeps the spark from being blown out. If your btm box is connected using the msd wiring harness, it simply unplugs and that connector plugs into the coil. Remember, red or orange is always positive and will hook to the positive side of the coil. If it is just wired in, the wire that is hooked to the red wire of the btm harness goes to the positive side of the coil, and the wired hooked to the white wire of the btm box goes to the negative side of the coil. The coil will have a + and - on it. The btm box just intercepts the signal that discharges the coil and alters the spark advance, and then sends it back out to the coil.

ok, i sure appreciate the help!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Atleast get some 36lb injectors or something bigger . It scares me running boost even with a fmu . I'm kinda against fmu's

OP
OP
O

okiemike

Reaction score
Ok, i had timing to low. It runs very strong now. It has been tuned and is running amazing.

Eventually i will upgrade the injectors, but with a trex fuel pump and the FMU, it seems to be getting the fuel thru the injectors fine.

thanks for the help.

BTW I am only boosting about 6lbs

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Ok, i had timing to low. It runs very strong now. It has been tuned and is running amazing.

Eventually i will upgrade the injectors, but with a trex fuel pump and the FMU, it seems to be getting the fuel thru the injectors fine.

thanks for the help.

BTW I am only boosting about 6lbs

You'll be fine.. The car will be a completely different animal when you can pulley it, add a powerpipe, maf, injectors and tune :)

OP
OP
O

okiemike

Reaction score
You'll be fine.. The car will be a completely different animal when you can pulley it, add a powerpipe, maf, injectors and tune :)

What does pulley it mean? go with a different pulley on the sc?
Would the car need tuned again, if i added different injectors? would i need to remove the FMU?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online