Data Logging Options

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9209]ReplicaR[/MENTION], and everybody else, what do you guys use for data logging? Specifically, on your track cars, what do you use?

I've got a wideband set up currently but not full data logging. I've got a couple options floating around in my mind, and I've done a couple things at a couple tracks that sort of work but not really. Before I delve into what I've done I'd like to hear what you guys are doing on your race cars. Thanks!!

Oh, this probably belongs in the Racing forum, but it could be sort of tech related, sorry if it's in the place MC.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I don't use data logging. I'm sure Rich does though.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Handheld is SCT XcAL 2 and software is SCT Pro Racers Pack for tuning and adjustments

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm confused on what your asking here? are you asking how to datalog, or what software to use to datalog?

Sorry for the confusion: I'm asking what folks use in general; however I use my car on the track so I am particularly keen on what track folks use.

Handheld is SCT XcAL 2 and software is SCT Pro Racers Pack for tuning and adjustments

This is through the OBDII port, correct?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The good stuff is expensive, don't have the money at the moment. For the most part, I was going out to have fun, and try new things. Never really bothered with lap times and such.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I don't race. But the datalgimg I've done is with BE ans QH.
6a71ee1b.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
I don't care what my car is doing. I care more about speeds, apexes, braking zones, etc.

i don't have fancy stuff, I have the Trackmaster App on my Droid. Works well for $8, I need a external gps. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but data log of engine/sensors is more for drag stuff. Or road racing with some coin. I don't know of one NASA racer that logs engine stuff. I do know that some of the more expensive dash loggers have some sensor or OBD2 interfaces, so I'm sure they're out there somewhat reasonable.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Very good data logger can go a long way to get that little bit extra out of the car and driver, especially if you have a knowledgeable person looking at the data. On the level that most of us are though, it's not the most necessary thing in the world.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. Here's my thoughts on it - I'm not too concerned with engine stuff, but like you said RichV, I do care about entry speed, apex speed, exit speed, gear, RPMs, etc. AND I want to marry that to video I take with my GoPro so that (theoretically) I can use software to merge the data logging and video together to create an overlay, watch the video and try to learn where maybe I can enter a little faster, maybe I should downshift because I'm dropping too low in the RPMs, etc. I'm not too concerned with EGT, AFR, etc.

I use a hodgepodge set up right now: Trackmaster App along with the Qstarz BT-818XT GPS receiver (works really well, offers 5Hz and 10Hz). I also use Dashware to merge the datalogging and video together. On the engine/RPM/TPS/etc side of things, I've used Zeitronix in the past - and use their scaled down version for wideband right now. Ultimately, I want to merge RPMs, gear, speed, g-force (and maybe some other things I'm forgetting off the top of my head) into a datalog that I can study and merge into an overlay on video. I know there are expensive options out there like Traqmate that do this, but as said, they cost quite a bit of coin. I was wondering if anyone was running a cheaper setup that works almost as well.

I'm trying to get Zeitronix to offer a product that meets the needs I described above for a fraction of the cost of the other Big Guys - they are already very close with their current products. I don't know if they'll bite - they probably won't but it's worth a try. Just wondering what else people are using out there. Personally, I love the idea of it, I think there's a wealth of things to learn, it's just a matter of getting access to the data for a reasonable price, and then being able to do something with that data.

RichV

Reaction score
I will comb SEMA this year and see if there is anything new out. I think I'll be upgrading my phone this year, so I may retire my MOT Razr for race car data. The limited time I've used it, even without the external GPS, it has very good info. But like ReplicaR said, you gotta be able to read the data. I'm not concerned with data in a race as much as during practice or T&T, but reading the data can be difficult. Traqmate does hold classes and I'm sure there are vids out there on how to read the data, but this stuff has been somewhat affordable for a short time. IMO even the cheaper Traqmate setup at $800-1000 is still a tough pill to swallow when I have a $8 App that gets very similar data.

One of our NASA racers developed race render. http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

He's done a lot of developing since I saw it last, but it's the last piece of the puzzle for developing video, and his stuff is really reasonable. He is starting to advertise regularly and actually sponsored a recent event's Saturday night Party.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Yes, xcal 2 is obd port, sct pro pack is usb t
o laptop and the wide band has its own module

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at Race Render - at the time I liked Dashware better, I don't recall why. However, I've been having technical issues with Dashware so maybe it's time to look at Race Render again. And I agree on the cost, it's too expensive. I'm trying to get Zeitronix to offer something in the $300 range. While that's more than $8, it's still obtainable I think.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, xcal 2 is obd port, sct pro pack is usb t
o laptop and the wide band has its own module

i don't think that would work for me, my ODB port is literally good for nothing :(

Addermk2

Reaction score
The Moates QH and a small laptop (I use a MSI Wind 10.1") is a great, low cost avenue that will also allow you to take advantage of tuning. Some race classes do not allow this, so another option would be a SnEEC-IV... Assuming you can find one.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I actually have a QH on it right now - never could get it to work. I don't think I cleaned the J3 properly or something. I talked to the support guy that makes them for Moates or whatever and he was like "dunno." I have a stock CBAZA/T4M0 tune that I was trying to write to the ECU, but it would never take. I always had to revert back to the stock tune for the car to start. This was a while ago - I gave up because I was buying a house and the car had broken anyway, so I haven't done anything with it since. I'll have to look in to it again.

The only trouble is that while I can engine info from it, I can't create a log file from it that I can then use in something like Dashware or Race Render (at least that I know of). So QH is great for tuning, and it allows me to see what's going on real-time, but I can't log it.

I was thinking about getting a SCT 4-bank with BAMA tunes just to get something in the mean time until I can afford the time to dick around with QH again. Of course, if my issue is the J3, then the SCT won't work either...

What's a SnEEC-IV?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twisteddalek

Members online

No members online now.