dipped cars

Bill94vert

Reaction score
Has anyone dipped their entire car yet? With the modern options available and colors/textures/quality it seems like a VERY good option if you don't want to drop atleast 5k on a decent paint job. I spend 4k on paint ALONE to have my car painted years ago - that ain't happening again!

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
ok so no one has done it yet..

give me some of your opinions on it, keeping in mind this isn't a spray can job. proper base coat / clear coat setup

07GtS197

Reaction score
I plasti dipped the chrome trim on my crown vic. It looks good but dipping a whole car doesnt look good imo. It makes cars look like a rat rod or ricey. I would rather rattle can my car but its your car. What texture/look are you trying to achieve?

plasti dipping a car isnt hard but overspray is still a problem even though it comes over rather easily. I spent an hour scrupping the overspray on my vic, what a pain that was.

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
here is a matt finish..
18157558_1485761678161584_9120954242291259020_n.jpg

Here is a gloss finish

17835231_1461284743942611_3542514316289928573_o.jpg

These are high quality "paint" jobs that you can peel off

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Please don't. Have you ever seen a plastidip car in person? I hate the texture look. It doesn't always "peel" off either FYI.

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
Please don't. Have you ever seen a plastidip car in person? I hate the texture look. It doesn't always "peel" off either FYI.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in..

Did you see the photos above? There is only texture if you want it.. if not it looks like paint.

Its all about the prep.. if prepped and apply correctly it will peel off.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Of course it looks good in photos, I've seen so many cars in person. I think it looks like garbage, its a cheap option for a reason. It's not show car quality. I much prefer my $1000 home paint job.

If you like it go ahead and do it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it would cost a few bucks more but I think it would be worth it for me to wrap it instead of dipping. Lasts longer and of course you can pick almost any color/finish. I have also heard of it causing issues on some clear coats

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a really sick one at a recent car show:

It looked just like a real paint job, but was apparently removable.

However, it was about $5k. So not a "less expensive" option I wouldn't say.

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
I have intentions on "dipping" my vert when its back on the road. Worth a shot to me.. I'll do it myself and let if fly. Now just gotta decide on colour.

9838stang

Reaction score
1st question, do you drive the car a lot in a week. Of so the dip will start to peel and will show chipping. If you pick a basic color it would be easy to repaint panel by panel if needed. But a custom color... Would be hard.

2nd question, do you have any flaws in you're paint. If so the dip show it. I had a clear coat bubble and it popped. I used plasti dip to cover it. But it just shown through the dip. Lol.

3rd question do you have a Wagner paint gun? If so it will greatly improve the look of the car. The can was hard as hell to use and my finger started cramping.

4th question. What color and option are you going?

There are tons of colors, types, effects, and materials.

Hope these help just was dipyourcar.com YouTube channel.

joekd

Reaction score
Plastidip has come a long way, I know a few people who daily drive the cars with a full body spray and it lasts just fine

I recently did my wheels using dark grey base, then metalizer and glossifier. People have seen it in person and insisted they were powdercoated and not dipped.

Can't really see all the metalflake in a pic but here is how they look
wheelsdipped.jpg

Best part is if I get sick of the color just peel right off. As long as you apply it correctly and use plenty of coats it peels off just fine.

OP
OP
Bill94vert

Bill94vert

Reaction score
1st question, do you drive the car a lot in a week. Of so the dip will start to peel and will show chipping. If you pick a basic color it would be easy to repaint panel by panel if needed. But a custom color... Would be hard.

2nd question, do you have any flaws in you're paint. If so the dip show it. I had a clear coat bubble and it popped. I used plasti dip to cover it. But it just shown through the dip. Lol.

3rd question do you have a Wagner paint gun? If so it will greatly improve the look of the car. The can was hard as hell to use and my finger started cramping.

4th question. What color and option are you going?

There are tons of colors, types, effects, and materials.

Hope these help just was dipyourcar.com YouTube channel.

1. I haven't driven my car 1 in the last 10+ years so no the car won't see much road time
2. There are some flaws but these will be address prior to laying down dip
3. I'll be getting a professional kit from DYC
4. Not sure yet.. it will have orange in somehow.. maybe another 2 tone.

I'll be using my car as a demo vehicle to see if there is a market to do other cars locally.

joekd

Reaction score
I'll be using my car as a demo vehicle to see if there is a market to do other cars locally.

I have a friend who started that way in North Carolina, now it's his side business and he was recently a finalist at Dipcon in Florida a couple months back

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Dipped GT

CB6C5933-9EAC-4375-B395-C1AD0D3F5AC3_zps6uzuqhgd.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here’s mine, dipped on my lawn. Yes it’s textured but for my first attempt and what it cost I’m happy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.