disc brake service questions

lrall

Reaction score
so my bro needs new rotors on his 99 cougar. Hes going to order the rotors and i think were just gonna do em ourselves. Im familiar with this process in a noob sort of way. Jack car up, jackstands, wheels off, then first question. Do you have to squeeze the caliper w/ a C-clamp, i have heard you do so when you take out the guide pins(allen or torx correct?) the caliper will come off. Also, i read something about fluid coming out the MC?? Then hang the caliper by wire, then to take off the rotor you have to break loose and take off the big nut in the middle? When reinstalling this it should be torqued down to spec? Then take off rotor, install new one and reverse order. I'm assuming itd make sense to do pads at this time also? The C-clamp and gettin rotor off are the only parts im shaky on. Thanks for the help guys!! :banana: :banana:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
buy a haynes or chiltons manual for his car...it is more than worth the $15.

97blackgt

Reaction score
jack it up, take wheel off, take caliper off (2bolts), remove old brake pads, push piston back in caliper(using a c clamp or special tool that turns piston while cranking in) install new pads, and caliper, and your done

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
yea thats pads, were doing rotors tho :hammer:

97blackgt

Reaction score
Loosen the wheel nuts.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the wheel.
Detach the caliper and anchor plate assembly.
Secure the caliper and anchor plate assembly out of the way to prevent damage to the flexible brake hose.
Remove the brake disc.
Remove the retainers (if equipped).
Installation
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

hopes this helps :hammer:

Hybridbird

Reaction score
No need to remove the nut.Just remove the caliper bracket and then the rotors will probably need a tap or two with a hammer to break them loose.

Peter

Reaction score
yah its not hard at all once you get the caliper off

best to get a new dust cap/cotter pin and dont forget grease

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Peter said:
yah its not hard at all once you get the caliper off

best to get a new dust cap/cotter pin and dont forget grease

He doesn't need to take of the dust cap or the nut,he's got floating rotors with sealed hubs just like us.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you are replaceing the rotors, replace the pads as well. Do it once, do it right, or do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online