DIY HID retrofit - trying to make a 1-piece sexy

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Had some questions about the retrofit I am doing now as well as a request for a how-to. Unfortunatly this came right after I had just separated the 2nd lens from the reflector. Separating the two is the worst part but its not that bad. I a started in one corner with the heat gun and worked my way around with different tools. You are not going to melt the glue as much as weaken it and then get it to separate from the other side. With a few different flat heads, a paint-scraper and some pics it took well over an hour to get them apart. Take your time and its not as bad as you might think, here are some of the tools I used and its a good idea to mask off the lens to keep it from getting scratched.
16330118_large.jpg

Once the lens is off there is the reflector and its bezel.
16330098_large.jpg

I will start with the reflector first. I needed to make the hole bigger so I used a stepper bit but first I removed that black plastic ring held on with the 3 screws as its important.
16330103_large.jpg

The reason for making the hole larger is to allow the projector assembly to sit back far enough to allow the lock nut to hold it in place(this will make sense in a few pics). I also removed part of the reflector that covered the bulb and had to clearance some of the plastic around the hole again to get it back far enough.
16330104_large.jpg

Now take the black ring that we took off the back and transfer its shape to a piece of metal. This is some scrap 14 awg I had laying around but you can use almost anything as long as its somewhat stiff. Using the tools shown and a file I cut it out.
16330106_large.jpg

This is steel so I put a coat of paint on it. Rather then reuse the original screws I put some thicker/longer screws in. This will be part of the aiming later so I need them thick enough to hold it solidly in place. You can mount the ring in place on the back of the reflector.
16330110_large.jpg

I decided to give the reflector a carbon fiber look so I first painted the reflector black and then mounted some 3m vinyl to the reflector with a little heat here/there to help get into the corners. I only painted it black so that the portions that were not covered would not stick out and blend in.
16330109_large.jpg

Prior to mounting the projector I also added an option I think are called devil eyes. By mounting two wide angle, red leds on the bottom of the assembly it makes for a neat effect of red eyes glowing. I got this kit off of amazon and it made for a real easy mounting where I only needed to slightly modify the projector assembly.
16330111_large.jpg

At this point you can mount the projector. You have also probably noticed the addition of the halo ring. Before the haterz start rolling their eyes, twitching to hit reply to tell me how stupid I am bla bla bla - the important part there is the bla bla bla as that is all I will hear. They will not be on all the time, are not an issue when they are turned off, and also notice the number of wires(they are 7-color halo rings). Like I said they will probably be off more then on but while I am in here taking stuff out and adding stuff I am installing them so sit back and drink yer hater-aid rather the hit reply :)
16330113_large.jpg

The projector shrowd will go over all this, then the reflector bezel will go in front of all of it. I didn't like the pocket the reflector made so I cut that out and had to fill a small area at the bottom with some filler before priming/paint.
16330099_large.jpg

You can see the discolored area at the bottom where I filled and sanded.
16330657_large.jpg

After that I painted the light and the projector shrowd with paint that is just a touch lighter then the actual color. Hopefully in sun under the tinted lens it will be close but I think it just barely going to look green next to the black areas. Should be cool I think but also if you look at the back area you will see the 3 raised areas on the sides. I masked those while painting so that they will remain the original graphite/clear color to allow light to pass through. I also mounted white leds behind the carbon fiber areas to help light them up but I am willing to bet with the HID lit that they will be fairly bright.
16330632_large.jpg

This is what it looks like with the white leds lit.
16330633_large.jpg

And I think these are called devil eyes if I am not mistaken(correct me if I am). This is what the small leds mounted in the bottom of the lens do but also check out how the light goes through the clear sections I masked. If they are called devil eyes these should be called eye lashes I guess..... Idunno.
16330639_large.jpg

And finally fer the haterz-halo's!
16330641_large.jpg

16330642_large.jpg

They will do almost any color.
16330643_large.jpg

So now I just need to get the car back so I can aim these and finish them up. Hopefully any day now stay tuned.

chris91

Reaction score
Cant wait to see the finished product. Looks great so far man! I have two spare sets of headlights layin around here, might make me try my hand at a retrofit after seeing your progress. :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Excellent writeup so far Scott! Quick question who did you use to get your retrofitting stuff from?
The projector assembly I got mirimoto projectors from theretrofitsource.com I think it was. For the ballasts/bulbs I went with a different source and as of yet I am not sure I would recommend this vendor....

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looking good
LOL at the haters comments
Thanks. Yea I know that with some people as soon as you start adding leds they start to loose their mind. I am still tempted to do a line of white leds flush-mounted horizontally across the bezel to use as daytime driving light like so many do. I know that a line of 3mm leds would hardly be seen and again when they are off would not matter but I am not sure I can cross that line.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
nice write up!

Before/after :

16329499_large.jpg

I finished the other one short of polishing the lens, aiming the light and sealing it back up. 1-piece lights have traditionally had a hard time both lining them up with the body lines and aiming them correctly. I am getting around this by not sealing them back up until after I mount them on the car and line them up with the body lines and THEN I will aim the projector and glue it in place so it will not move. Once all that is done I will take them back off and finally finish them completely.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'm loving this man your inspiring me for some winter fun ideas! Tho my craftsmanship isn't nearly as good as yours lol. I fix broken shit. I'm not very crafty

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm loving this man your inspiring me for some winter fun ideas! Tho my craftsmanship isn't nearly as good as yours lol. I fix broken shit. I'm not very crafty

As I said this is the first time I have done this and I can say I am not drawing on any previous knowledge to do this. I have taken electronics apart to modify it before but never something that was not intended to be NOT taken apart. Like I said above getting them apart was the worst part but it wasn't much more then heat/pry.... Heat/pry...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think the LED's across the bottom and wrapped around the side would be alright as long as you can turn them off. They're on lots of higher end cars now and very popular.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I updated the original post with the progress and lit up pics. Playing with it now in the dark I am really glad I left those slits(eyelashes) open as the light that comes out of them really shows the carbon fiber pattern. With out them I am sure it would be lost in the light.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I really like those demon eyes... looks killer. Imagine that on a black car

Yup or a dark green/black car that is often mistaken for black. I am contemplating seeing if my automation buddy that made the cut-outs automation system would/could make a system for this that would slowly increase/decrease the voltage to the leds so that the eyes would pulsate brighter/lighter slowly. I have seen demon eyes before but I think if they faded in/out it would really make people look twice.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
thats pretty neat you should start a service of doing this for people .. what would you charge by chance ?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats pretty neat you should start a service of doing this for people .. what would you charge by chance ?

Hard to tell I probably have 10 hrs into them on top of the price of the parts. I know that most places are not cheap to do it and that is because of the labor. It doesn't take any special tools just time.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

Above118

Reaction score
id really like to see how these fit..i bought the same set for my 5.0...hatedddd the fit. ended up taking them off and going with a 2 piece set... i wouldn't mind retro fitting my 2 piece set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online