DIY: Spoiler/Wing Paint from Aerosol Can *PICS*

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Here I am back again with another project that I have put together. Some of you may recall a few years ago I attempted to do the

rear cobra shaved bumper, later I went to do the 01 Cobra front.....and finally I did the cobra side scoops. With each turn I

learned more and more and I think, became better and better at it. It's so difficult because PATIENCE in the key....prep time is the

most important, but the results make it all worth it. Ultimately this took me about 6 hrs from start to finish...give or take. So I

wanted to do a little writeup to maybe help any of those interested. Sure, I am not a paint master, so I don't expect paint shop

results either, but I think overall it came out great. NOTE: The final results are of the final clear coat, I have to let it sit for

24 hrs or so and then hit it with #84 rubbing compound and my meguiars buffer to get rid of the 'orange peel' but based on how my

spoiler/wing looked...this is 100000's better and I am very happy...even before buffing.

Items I used:
340 Grit
400 Grit
600 Grit
1500 Grit
2000 Grit (you can buy a pack for like $15 of all of these)
Water (free lol)
Microfiber Towels (inexpensive)
Painters Tape
Paper/Lining/Cover up for car (*I used dog pee pads cuz I had tons..hahaha)
Sanding block (very needed to sand over and over...hands don't do as well over large areas)
1 can of clear (aerosol)
1 can of L2 paint (aerosol)
1 can of primer
*Cans purchased from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/?utm_expid=46962982-10.mvu0xbPTQIKu4MxXEcvpMQ.0
I even purchased the sprayer that you attach to the can.....seriously makes it easier because you don't use your index finger over

and over. But when it came to gettting into the nitty gritty areas I pulled it off and used my finger to make sure I got in there

good.

So here is the car:
u2YvAeK.jpg

Bt6L75v.jpg

JgNDXka.jpg

Here it is after I hit it with the 340 and 400 grit sand paper and the sanding block. It was so tough getting out that clear

coat....surprised me how hard I can to sand down....THUS why the sanding block was super helpful. I started by hand and the paper

got really hot with the motion and I had to keep pausing. Block came into play and BAM! Much easier.

zps5VGX.jpg

rQRguTp.jpg

62zuI7g.jpg

Finally I taped off the entire car for overspray especially. I didn't go buy crap...I have a dog....I had doggy pads...I used them,

end of story..LOL Hey, it was there, and worked perfectly.....LOL.

LwOwKiP.jpg

kKgSyzy.jpg

Here is it with the primer now on it. Make sure that you clean it off really well after sanding it of course.

tY94eUR.jpg

u9eNSuz.jpg

d4lOAQX.jpg

Then I hit it with 600 grit sandpaper in a wetsand. Some people freak out when they try this step and they lose some primer...that's

quite okay....the primer is rough, you just want to smooth it out with the water assisting to a super smooth finish before starting

the paint.

C9lu8KC.jpg

wR22Env.jpg

Dry it off and wipe it well because now you can start the coats of paint:

Please note that you should wait 10-15 minutes between each coat.

*ADDITIONALLY and EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: On your first coat of paint, do NOT try to cover every last inch. The goal here is to make

several thin coats that when combined will make for a beautiful finish. So you can see my first coat below. I just spread out the

paint, giving it some area for the 2nd coat to stick and grab. Again...just a simple very thin/light coat

Coat 1:
H12A9i6.jpg

x2eVrEG.jpg

Then came the 2nd coat...a bit more on that one as the 1st coat allowed for the attachment
Coat 2:
fO1ftXG.jpg

foztNtB.jpg

Then you can see by the 3rd coat it's starting to come together. In this coat I make certain to cover all the areas up well
Coat 3:
J5WQpJZ.jpg

GDIRfig.jpg

Final coat it a nice top layer across it all for that nice finish. You don't have to worry so much about getting a super reflection

as the clear coat does that for you...but you still get some which is nice
Coat 4:
SiAfEUB.jpg

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
After about 1 hour of letting it sit, I hit it with 1500 wet sand and 2000 wet sand. I am on the cautious side so I was

suuuuuuuuuper soft when I did it and made sure to add LOTS of water...otherwise you just scratch it all up again, and I only had 1

can..so that wasn't happening. Sure you can get another can and put more layers and I may have wanted to do that...but I worked with

what I had. Then I dried and wiped it up well and started, my favorite part, the clear coat

The theory is the same....thin layers, moving left to right constantly

Through the progression of the layers you can see more and more of a reflection on the spoiler. On several of them you can see the

reflection of the flag on the pole and the 2nd story of the house being reflected and how much more it becomes clear with the coats

layering up with one another until the final coat is applied

Coat 1:
vwLSuVP.jpg

Coat 2:
ZB4tmkk.jpg

kpUhjjy.jpg

j8LXkt1.jpg

Coat 3:
fBkAI52.jpg

Oth9Etz.jpg

yYM17vb.jpg

Coat 4 (final):
f4xFpRq.jpg

GnoU7OJ.jpg

RrhpCJz.jpg

SD6F3PC.jpg

So here is the final results for today....6 hrs later. I am very pleased with how it looks compared to how it was!!! I will have to

let it sit, bake, cure, etc for a day or so and then hit it with the rubbing compound to get rid of as much orange peel as possible.

To be honest, even if I left it like this...it's already WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than how it was!!!!!!!

Now here it is the following day:
P8C5BQo.jpg

DGmVBN0.jpg

6sZDuA8.jpg

AptHeVX.jpg

And to give you a better feel for the major difference.

(Yeah I know the car is filthy..but focus LOL)
ayK016X.jpg

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Nice writeup and sweet job on the paint. I cannot use cans for shit.. So kudos to you sir

Did you do the underside? Would it have been easier to paint it had you taken it off?

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Looks good man! Car looks like it could use a good wash though. I would like to see a picture with the decklid clean. But great job man!

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Nice writeup and sweet job on the paint. I cannot use cans for shit.. So kudos to you sir

Did you do the underside? Would it have been easier to paint it had you taken it off?

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I did searches for how-to and they were just hard to find as well...so hopefully this can help other people looking to do it too. Overall it cost me like $30 because I had most of the other stuff from other projects. It is tricky using cans...you have to get used to them a bit lol

Didn't really do the underside...sun never hits the area...just did a light sand there and a few light coats. I didn't want to take it off because using it on the trunklid allowed for a good work bench for me to sand and paint. Additionally I didn't want to reapply 3M on the wing upon reinstall, etc if it needed it.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Looks good man! Car looks like it could use a good wash though. I would like to see a picture with the decklid clean. But great job man!

You and I both!! Car was disgusting because the weather made it just drizzle a bit to get dust to settle and look like crap on cars LOL I had just washed the car about 1 week ago too damn it LOL I will wash them today or tomorrow and post those new pictures up :) My wing makes the trunklid look crappy now as it's more faded/oxidized LOL But my rear bumper was freshly painted so they should compliment each other lol

Phatboy

Reaction score
Looks 100% better, but if you really want to bring out the shine, wet sand it again with 2000, then polish it with a polishing compound.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Looks 100% better, but if you really want to bring out the shine, wet sand it again with 2000, then polish it with a polishing compound.

Yeah I thought about it...I have the buffer and #83 Meguirs. I hate wetsanding though cuz I feel like if I do it too hard it will mess up all my work lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would be afraid with the bottom not done that it will start to deteriorate from the bottom up. Looks better for sure.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I would be afraid with the bottom not done that it will start to deteriorate from the bottom up. Looks better for sure.

I wouldn't. lol If it hasn't in 12 years....It won't in the next year that I will be having this car :)

boston2k4

Reaction score
Looks good man! Cans are hard as heck to figure out and once you get it down your favorite brand swaps the spray heads to something "better"
and you gotta learn again.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Looks good man! Cans are hard as heck to figure out and once you get it down your favorite brand swaps the spray heads to something "better"
and you gotta learn again.

LOL I feel ya. I had one and went to another and actually was happy because the paint actually matches better with the new one! LOL

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting...but I'm trying not to spend anymore money..thus the rattlecan job LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online