Do you ever need spacers?

A_+

Reaction score
Is there ever a time when spacers are required? Maybe for aftermarket wheels? Are they mostly for looks? I recently replaced my staggered fr500's for some stock 03 wheels. The front seems a little more tucked in than the back does. This won't hurt performance, right?
Also, how can I measure how much of a drop I have? The springs that came with the car are UPR by eibach. I called upr and they said "maybe 1.5 inch?"
ura2ugun.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
If your wheels are flat out incorrect or you have clearance issues with brakes or the inner lip/tire being too close to something spacers can be used to correct the issues.

Obviously the looks, fill out the wheel well a little better.

Last is track width, to get the track width as wide as possible for better handling and alter weight distribution. They can also be used to tune a chassis for oversteer and understeer.

joekd

Reaction score
The only time you "need" spacers is when your wheels are hitting suspension or brake parts otherwise they are just for looks

330CubeGt

Reaction score
No mustang examples, but I just put a set on my beater yesterday. They made a huge difference in the "look".I prefer a wide wheel but if all I have is a 8"-9" rim I would use spacers to make the tire flush with the fender.

Before
nusyra8y.jpg

After
tumy8yve.jpg

je9y5a8e.jpg

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the info. These wheels ARE a little close to the calipers but I don't think they'll be an issue. Anyone else running this style rim?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
there's no way with a stock wheel the front should be tucked in more than the back, that literally never happens.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I have those exact wheels on my car right now... kinda want to get rid of them cause I want wider rims to get wider tires.. not a fan of spacers... want to fill the gap? buy a rim/tire thatll do it in my opinion

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I have those exact wheels on my car right now... kinda want to get rid of them cause I want wider rims to get wider tires.. not a fan of spacers... want to fill the gap? buy a rim/tire thatll do it in my opinion

The gap doesn't bother me. I just wanted to make sure it was safe. Wider rims and tires are cool, until its time to buy a tire! I looked up a used tire on eBay,for my staggered set and it cost $230. Maybe if this wasnt going to be my daily, I would have kept them.
there's no way with a stock wheel the front should be tucked in more than the back, that literally never happens.

Maybe I'm losing it. I'll check again...

1bad9d5

Reaction score
your right... it is a good point.. spending 200-300 bucks a tire for it to be 285-315 does get old quick if the car is a DD... i still prefer that look over knowing there are spacers.. everybody is different

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
the wheels you have look good, throw an inch or 1.25" spacer on there and it'll look a lot better. or get some 17x9s all around if you want wider tires but still something you can rotate.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea cause these cars can suck a wheel right up in the wheel wells in the rear lol. i've seen some 17x8's that you couldn't even see from the right angle. for the front to be in more than the rears (which is ideal to me) you would not be able to even turn :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy