Does a tune really do that much on an HCI 94 5.0?

chris91

Reaction score
Does mike have the dayton 5.0 performance shop? If so thats the guy I may take it to. He seemed like a straight up dude.

Yep thats him. He is definitely well versed in the 5oh and tuning them. He also owns the website www.stangbangerz.com . Im the classifieds moderator over there and its a great group of guys from all around Ohio.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
First things first you need bigger injectors have you upgraded ur fuel pump yet ?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I tries to pm you but it said your inbox was full

Yah, sorry about that. When I got the notice, I cleaned it out. PM's accepted now. Anyway, to answer your question:

I drove a Saturn for quite awhile (long, uninteresting story, not for here), decided enough was enough, time for a new car. I wanted something with good power, 4 doors, preferred AWD, preferred something unique-ish. I looked at:
  • Acura TLs (hated the new look, preferred the older design, liked the TypeS but pricey used)
  • Gold GTIs (looked nice, everyone had one, only okay power)
  • Ford Mustangs (really liked them, priced too high IMO, only 2 doors)
  • Ford Fusions (liked the looks, had no power)
  • Ford Taurus SHOs (liked it, priced too high IMO)
  • Pontiac G8s (really, really really liked these, if it weren't for Pontiac going out of business I might have ended up with one of these)
  • Used Neon SRT-4's (good power, really didn't want to get a neon)
  • Caliber SRT-4s (good power, really didn't like the way these looked)
  • Mazdaspeed3s (good power, hated the redesign smile/grin front fascia)
  • Used WRX/STIs (really liked these, blown away by how high used prices were)
  • Used Evos (same as the used WRX/STI)

I had kind of day-dreamed while driving the Saturn about a STI or Evo. But never really thought I'd end up in one. I wasn't a fan of the current gen STIs/WRX because they only came in hatches and I'm not a huge fan of the hatches <gasp!> - I mean, they are okay, but I can do without. Plus I felt the styling on them was meh. And then I saw the newly redesigned STI/WRX (for 2011), and there was a SEDAN! I absolutely loved the new look. It was aggressive. Bulgy. Different. Plus the price of a used WRX was almost as much as a new WRX...that's it. I'm getting a new WRX!! Bounced back and forth between WRX or STI, decided STI wasn't worth the extra money. Went to the dealership to check out WRXs...long story short(er) I decided STI's were worth the money. They didn't have what I wanted on the lot, so I ordered it from Japan and waited for it to arrive.

In short, I love it. It's a great car. I drive it almost every day (as it is my DD), and never once have I been like "meh, this car doesn't do it for me anymore." Down here, there's not many on the road (well, there are more now, but def not when I bought it), so it was totally different, and the performance is superb. I have my Mustang GT now because of this car. I took my STI to Sebring International to do an HPDE, got hooked, decided I couldn't do it my new DD, thus got the GT. Oh, and I went for WRX over Evo because the interiors are a little nicer (which isn't saying much when compared to other cars, like the GTI). But honestly, this car does it all for me. I don't miss anything. And I don't think the interior sucks at all, though that's one if its detractors. But maybe I'm easy. Anyway, I don't regret getting it. I love it, and I love driving it.

95opal

Reaction score
If you don't go to a dyno and choose to go remote tune look at don from lassota racing probably the best in the country with the 94-95 cars

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yes, I am on here. Just not as often as I'd like to be. I used to help out in the technical forums on here a lot, but just don't have the time to invest in it anymore. I stay too busy here at the shop to be able to spend enough time to do any good. I can tune it for you, and any time an sn95 5.0 or 4.6 is modified, they need to be tuned to get the drivability right. It costs some at first, but it will be worth it in improved drivability and fuel economy, not to mention the power improvements at part throttle and wot.
When you purchase my tune package, you get the chip, tunes, one hour of dynotime, and me taking your computer out to prep it for the chip. It also gets you free tunes for life and locks in dyno time at 75 per hour for life. I do quite a few each week, dyno stays pretty busy. It's a dynojet 224XLC. If you have questions please give me a call or stop by. Sorry, I do not do mail order tunes for those wondering.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes, I am on here. Just not as often as I'd like to be. I used to help out in the technical forums on here a lot, but just don't have the time to invest in it anymore. I stay too busy here at the shop to be able to spend enough time to do any good. I can tune it for you, and any time an sn95 5.0 or 4.6 is modified, they need to be tuned to get the drivability right. It costs some at first, but it will be worth it in improved drivability and fuel economy, not to mention the power improvements at part throttle and wot.
When you purchase my tune package, you get the chip, tunes, one hour of dynotime, and me taking your computer out to prep it for the chip. It also gets you free tunes for life and locks in dyno time at 75 per hour for life. I do quite a few each week, dyno stays pretty busy. It's a dynojet 224XLC. If you have questions please give me a call or stop by. Sorry, I do not do mail order tunes for those wondering.

Where's your location and website?

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
^I believe he is located in Dayton and owns the 5.0 performance shop, if I'm not mistaking.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is longer than 2 replies. I also can't believe that in this day and age people still don't tune their cars to get the most out of the motor combinations. Without a tune my car does not even run. With a shitty tune, it made 308rwhp. With the good tune that it's on currently, it made 360rwhp.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
one last question. Since I have an AODE can a tune change my shift points?

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yes, and firmness. Can make it a two hands on the wheel pass at the dragstrip as well. A lot depends on how quickly the trans makes that shift when commanded, so there is some trial and error to it on the stock ones. On a modified trans with aftermarket parts, they shift pretty much right NOW, so they are a bit easier to dial in.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is it okay to drive around without a tune? Im gonna get it tuned hopefully next month. Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online